Jari Kurri is among the most famous Finnish ice hockey players, both locally and world wide. His positions are right wing or center and he shoots right. He is currently retired from ice hockey.
During his career, Jari Kurri won five Stanley Cup championships, all of which in the ranks of the Edmonton Oilers (1984, 85, 87, 88, 90). He scored the winning goal for their 1987-championship. Jari Kurri's NHL-teams in chronological order: Edmonton Oilers, Los Angeles Kings, New York Rangers, Mighty Ducks of Anaheim, Colorado Avalanche.
His total of NHL points amounts to 1398 in 1251 games, making him the most pointworthy European player that North America has seen so far. A lion part (364) of Jari Kurri's goals were assisted by Wayne Gretzky, another shining star in the NHL Hall of Fame.
Jari Kurri holds the following achievements or records:
- NHL Lady Byng Memorial Trophy (1985)
- 8th player in NHL history to score 600 goals
- 1st All-Star line (RW) (1985, 87)
- 3rd player in NHL history to score 70 goals in one season (1985)
- NHL playoffs highest goal total (1984, 85, 87, 88)
- Most goals (12) in one playoff series (1985)
- Most hat trick games (3) in one playoff series (1985)
- NHL single-session playoff record for most hat trick games (4) (1985)