Some acronyms in Japan, despite being composed of alphabets, can have different meanings than in the English speaking world. Not unreasonable acronyms, but it might catch a non-native speaker off-guard.
- GHQ ("General Headquarters") - SCAP ("Supreme Commander of the Allied Powers")
- OK and NG ("No Good") - success and failure
- OVA ("Original Video Animation") - anime sold directly on disc (historically, on tape) rather than broadcasted on TV first
- ONA ("Original Net Animation") - direct-to-Internet anime
- PV ("promotional video") - music video (aside: I have heard this referred to as "MTV" by Chinese speakers)
- SNS ("Social Networking Service") - social networking
- VTR ("video tape recording") - video footage