With Imbolc coming up soon, I've been thinking about what intentions to set for the year.

Last Feb 2, I set the intention of changing my mindset. I wanted to look at my life with an "I'm in charge" frame of mind. I'd hoped that this would result in me getting a job I liked and moving into my own place, but I knew that may not happen right away. In order to achieve an end goal, there are steps that must happen along the way. And if I was really going to be in charge of my life, that meant trusting my instincts and doing whatever felt necessary. 

Those instincts manifested in ways I hadn't expected: I taught myself how to camp and went out on two solo camping trips. I went out on daytrips to unfamiliar places on unfamiliar roads. I drove on the Highway 400, something I'd been too afraid to do before. Without really thinking about it, I re-organized my desk every couple of months, and I sorted through piles of paperwork

Most recently, I spent November to the end of January (this week) dealing with an abandoned project. Rather than reviving it, I officially closed — or paused, I'm not sure which —  that chapter and started a new one. It has taken the form of an outdoor adventures blog, and most of my writing is now about nature. I'm not sure where this is going exactly, but for the first time since moving back to my hometown, I feel like I'm moving forward. Most importantly, I feel like this movement is in the right direction.

I won't know what my new intentions will be until this upcoming Wednesday, when I medidate on the subject and make my decision. What I do know for sure is that I want to stay involved with nature. My so-called career is still a question mark. Ideally, it will involve using my mind and creating something useful. What that something will be, I don't know. I have too many ideas in my head, a number of which are likely unviable. I'll have to start trying them until I find one that works.  

For my living situation, I'll probably have to move out of town. I'm leaning towards the idea of building a tiny home and placing it on either a) a piece of land I can rent, or b) a piece of land I've somehow managed to afford and actually buy. 

On my list of things to do soon: research tiny homes, look into starting my freelance editing again (within the next month), continue to work on my blog (lots more photos to add still), book my camping trips for the spring and summer, research hiking boots (I need better ones), hiking backpacks (I plan to try overnight hiking), buy new glasses, and so on.

My main issue is deciding what to prioritize. Also, my sanity has dwindled somewhat in the past month. Today is one of my better days; I've taken more time away from the screen this week to catch up on everday things such as eating properly (something besides cereal), doing laundry, and dealing with the piled-up garbage cans in my room, bathroom, and desk area. I also plan to go out of town soon to return a pair of pants and shop for a few things not available here. Getting away for a day helps me to feel less crazy. Once that's done, I plan to start working on another of my goals from that list above. It's a difficult balance, working on things without going crazy.

I guess that's all I have to say for now. My cat is staring at me, waiting for her dinner, and I need a break from my desk. Thanks for reading. 

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.