I finally upgraded my Windows XP installation to Service Pack 2. I've held off on this, dragging my feet, because Microsoft has burned me before on jumping to the latest and greatest and oops-its-broken-check-for-a-patch-next-month. I remember back in the days of Windows 3.1 when, while on a local BBS, I found the Windows 3.11 upgrade in the files section and eagerly downloaded it, thinking "Ooh, free upgrade!". Of course all it really did was add Windows for Workgroups features that I had no need for at the time. But still, it seemed like a cool thing to be able to upgrade an OS like that (or in this case, Program Manager).

When I bought my next computer it came with Windows 95b on it, the second not-quite-service-pack rendition of the OS. The touted USB support was flakey and everyone knows the old Plug 'n Pray joke by now. In later years I gave that PC to my parents and, just a little over a year ago I think it was, I took a Windows 98SE disc with me when I went to visit them and updated the machine. USB support is still flakey because the actual USB ports in the machine were early flakey ports. The sound card is also iffy since the update, but it gave my parents a little more stability in their computer. 95b was crashing and locking up everytime they turned it on (and that was after all the spyware had been cleaned off of it).

The computer that I have now I bought in 1999. It came with Windows 98SE on it and I kept that installation running until 2003 when I felt forced to upgrade to Windows XP. I bought the Professional version from the university for the same price as the Home edition out in the "real world" and installed it. As soon as it was in place the installer jumped online and downloaded Service Pack 1. Compared to 98SE the machine ran like a dream, so once SP2 came out last year I began dragging my feet on the update. Automatic Update would keep complaining that I needed to do it, and even when I turned that off it would complain that it was turned off. At some point last week the AU just decided it was going to download the update; apparently my input was no longer necessary. Everyday since then it's been bugging me to update the thing just about every hour or so, so I finally went ahead and did it this morning. I don't notice anything different yet. Sure, there's the increased security and all that it allegedly has, but I haven't noticed anything amazingly different. Hopefully everything will remain running smoothly. I don't want to run into a critical error and be told "Yeah, we'll fix that in Service Pack 3."

It is a winter night in California. It’s one of those nights where the air is cautiously still, waiting to burst into the season’s first downpour (but only if you try walking home without an umbrella).

It wouldn’t have mattered, because I am sitting in my car (my dad’s car), with a girl who so stirs me that years later I would remember her as a ghost momentarily caught in golden streetlight.

We are talking about trivial things (neither of us is well acquainted with the silence), but if she is thinking about something else… She could be thinking about me – God knows I think about her. I feel myself floating deep below the surface of an ocean looking up at her, trying to reach out and touch something.
Christ, just make yourself do it. Whatever it is, do it for once in your god damn life, just don’t wait.
I am now cold, terrified, unsure, and I sweat on the inside of my skin. I can just as easily defuse a bomb with a butterknife. I am close to her now (closer than I’ve ever been to anyone), and she looks at me with an understanding that she had been hiding.
Oh God, please I want this.
And unlike any story, or movie, or cheap words sung from the mouth of a man, I find myself choking on the electricity searing my mind as she touches me. I hear music somewhere. I feel her tongue caressing the wounded insides of my pale soul, and I realize, like all men must realize before they die, how weak I really am.

“Oh shit, you should go. Your parents are going to kill you.”

She opens the door, bids me goodnight with a worried smile which reminds me of a dream, and leaves. I feel myself surfacing; expecting to find happiness, I panic. I look at the time. Christ, her parents are going to kill me. I speed off with nowhere to go, hoping the drive home (wherever that is) will keep this memory preserved perfectly, so I can go to bed with it, dream of it, tell it to my children, and share it with her as we slowly die in each other’s arms.

Hi everybody! I hope you’re doing good! My hamster got out of his cage last week but we found him down in the basement. I was really happy about it. We have an interest fair at school and I’m writing all about the history of coffee. There is a lot to write!

I was sitting at the table last night doing a jigsaw puzzle but was getting bored so my dad told me to go upstairs and write a poem. I thought about it for a little and couldn’t come up with anything so I wrote this. It’s called “Go Write A Poem”. I hope you like it!

Go Write A Poem

Go write a poem
and let it be about
whatever you like.
The flight of a bird
or the ride of a bike

Go write a poem
and let it be written
up in your room.
Don’t let it be about
nightmares and doom

Go write a poem
and let it be nice.
Maybe about snow
or the cold winter ice.

Go write a poem
and let it be about
some of your fantasies.
Make it about dolphins or whales
Or even the manatees

Go write a poem
and let it be about
the moon and the sun.
Now the poem about poems
is finished and done.

Bye!

/me says Besides the usual standard disclaimers apply, I gotta tell ya, the smile on my face grows wider with each passing day.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.