"Do you really want to go on like this?"



Another of those Manchester bands. Formed in 1982 when Tim Booth (vocalist) ran into drummer Gavan Whelan, guitarist Paul Gilbertson and bassist Jim Glennie at Manchester University. The four hit the club circuit heavily and were soon "local favorites". They received the blessing of Chief Manchesterian Morrissey and were eventually asked to open for The Smiths. They were soon after signed to Sire Records but due to mediocre sales (they were still mostly a cult favorite, with decent college alternative radio back-up in the U.S.) soon moved on to Rough Trade.

It wasn't until their seventh release, Laid, (released on Mercury) that James really came into their own...and even then you've got to give props to Everything's own Brian Eno who handled production and co-wrote the sister-album Wah Wah. Eno did what he's done countless times before--he found the diamond and coaxed it out into the light. James refracted, James shined, James waited four years to record a follow-up (without Eno) and flopped.

For those of you who were there, those of you who cared...who owned Wah-Wah and hailed it as an electronic Passion, a psychedelic wonderland of guitars, feedback and sampled surreality...for those of us it's been a tragedy. Blur has picked up largely where James left off, especially with their recent masterpiece 13, and that's okay. I miss Tim, though...and I always miss Brian.




See also:

James' music exists in past/future territory. Somewhere between Eccentric, Romantic, Tender, Crazy and Ecstatic. I think they probably discovered this place. Their best songs rank among the very best of british pop music: you find yourself thinking "I've never heard anything quite like this before, but it makes perfect emotional sense". It rings true -- Brian Eno 1997

At Manchester University Student Bar one evening in 1981, Tim Booth was dancing, whilst three men tried to steal his drink. He confronted them, so they asked him to dance for their band, known as "Model Team International". The next day they had their first rehearsal in a scout hut. Before long, Tim was promoted to singer, and the band was renamed "James"

From early on the band had certain ways of working. They shunned attention, preferring to let the songs speak for themselves. Their rehearsals were unstructured jam sessions. Afterwards, they would try and find the best bits on the tape. If they couldn't, they imitated it anyway. Somewhere along the way, some fantastic singles were recorded. It was a policy to "not minimise the risk of accidental music", and that was the way it worked.

Widespread sucess took a long time. Despite glowing reviews, and their home city being the musical center of the universe for several years, they never seemed to be as popular as they should have been. Even Sit Down, the horribly commercial single of 1989 didn't dent the charts noticably.

In 1991, the released their third album, Gold Mother, accompanied by a rerecording of Sit Down. All of a sudden, the UK couldn't get enough of them. They toured, played gigs and festivals everywhere and went top ten repeatedly.

After releasing a fourth album, Seven in 1992, they disappeared into a studio in Bath with producer Brian Eno. The result, Laid, was the highest point of their career, and the soundtrack to too many mellow evenings to mention. The limited edition Wah Wah was a welcome surprise for many, giving a good insight into how James work in the studio, their methods unchanged since their early rehearsals in Manchester.

And then... Nothing.

For three years James released nothing. Tim Booth recorded an album with Angelo Badalamenti to mixed reviews. Everyone thought James had given up.

Finally, in 1997, James released "Whiplash". It was much more upbeat than Laid, but with their unique sound. Unfortunately, it didn't have the same commercial sucess as Laid. In 1998 they released their "Best Of" album, along with with claims that more was on the way. Millionaires was released in 1999, getting a similar reaction to Whiplash.

Then once again... Nothing.

The 20th book of the New Testament

This is a letter written by James (the half-brother of Jesus) to the churches in general. The letter is a little short doctrine (which is why Martin Luther tried to have it removed from the canon), but it teaches much on morals, ethics, and faith.

chapters: 1 2 3 4 5

Next Book: 1 Peter
Previous Book: Hebrews
back to the King James Bible



Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary on the Whole Bible
Book: James
Chapters: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 ·

This epistle of James is one of the most instructive writings
in the New Testament. Being chiefly directed against particular
errors at that time brought in among the Jewish Christians, it
does not contain the same full doctrinal statements as the other
Epistles, but it presents an admirable summary of the practical
duties of all believers. The leading truths of Christianity are
set forth throughout; and On attentive consideration, it will be
found entirely to agree with St. Paul's statements concerning
Grace and Justification, while it abounds with Earnest
exhortations to the patience of Hope and obedience of Faith and
Love, interspersed with warnings, reproofs, and encouragements,
according to the characters addressed. The truths laid down are
very serious, and necessary to be maintained; and the rules for
practice ought to be observed in all times. In Christ there are
No dead and sapless branches, Faith is not an idle Grace;
wherever it is, it brings forth Fruit in Works.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.