A condition which affects your ability to admit that you don't know the answer. Instead of just being honest, you either make up some shit, or try and cobble together a few facts you heard somewhere, in a desperate attempt to look like an expert.

Named after the uncanny ability of James Bond to instantly know exactly what the old geezers in M's office are talking about as soon as he walks in. You'd think that being a superspy in exotic locations, risking his neck and bedding loads of nubile young lovelies till his cock rots off, he wouldn't have time to read a paper and keep up on current events.

But no, as soon as he turns up, M or somebody says "What do you know about such-and-such, 007?" and without umming and errr-ing, Bond trots out a detailed explanation that would put an expert to shame.

Example: Octopussy. They hand Bond a gold egg-shaped item, and ask him if he knows what it is. Course he does! "Well, it looks like a Fabergé egg, sir. One of the jewelled eggs made by Carl Fabergé as an Easter gift for the Russian royal family. They're priceless and very rare. This one contains a model of the imperial stage coach." It's not enough that he knows what it is, he's got its whole bloody life story.

Another one: In Goldfinger, he knows that the nuclear bomb contains cobalt and iodine ("of course"), and that the resulting explosion will make the gold radioactive for 58 years - well, he says 57, but it's just a guess, you see.

He only comes unstuck once, in Diamonds are Forever. Another faceless Sir Suit asks him what he knows about diamonds. Bond says "Well, hardest substance found in nature, they cut glass, suggest marriages, I suppose it replaced the dog as the girl's best friend. That's about it." To which M replies "Refreshing to hear that there is one subject you're not an expert on..."

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.