An acronym for Justice Society of America which, according to the good folks at DC Comics is the Original Superteam. They were originally heroes during WWII but some have died (Atom, Hourman, Sandman, Black Canary, Hawkman, Hawkgirl. Others are still alive and well today in Y2K,(Sentinel, The Flash, Wildcat) while some of the original members have been replaced by their children(Black Canary), godchildren (Atom Smasher, THFKA Nuklon), descendants (Hawkgirl), sidekicks(Sand) and in one situation, a diamond-generation intelligent machine colony from the 853rd century (see DC One Million) programmed with bio-software based on their genetic code (Hourman). Other orignal members have been replaced by new heroes carrying their legacy forward. These include Dr. Mid-Nite, Mr. Terrific and the Star-Spangled Kid.

Also an acronym for the Junior States of America.

The Junior State of America (JSA) was created by and for these students. Since its inception in 1934, more than 300,000 student members have become active, informed citizens through the Junior State.

What makes JSA so unique is that students organize every aspect of it, all the way from the chapter level to state and national administration. Our student leaders, elected by their fellow JSA members, plan and execute all of the conventions, conferences, and political awareness events put on by the Junior State.

We allow for an exchange of ideas through stimulating student debates, thought talks, problem solving, and various simulations. By participating in these activities, each member walks away with a more intelligent and informed viewpoint. Lastly, JSA provides a wonderful chance to meet and make friends with scores of other bright, involved students that have similar interests. It's an experience that you don't want to miss out on.

- http://www.jsa.org

What it really is, is a national league of high school debate clubs focusing on political and social issues. Most chapters of the organization seem to come from conservative Christian high schools, most of which sound more like venereal diseases than schools. There is an annual Congress, a Fall State convention, a Spring State Convention, as well as numerous mini-cons. Past debate topics include:
  • Resolved, that the private ownership of handguns be banned.
  • Resolved, that freedom is more important than security.
  • Resolved, that economic growth should take precedence over environmental protection.
  • Resolved, that the two party system is beneficial to the United States
  • Resolved, that gender roles are necessary for the survival of society.
  • Resolved, that schooling interferes with education.
  • Resolved, that stronger immigration quotas be established.
  • Resolved, that America is justified in exporting its morality.
  • Resolved, that all racial preferencing be outlawed.
  • Resolved, that religion is the foundation of government.
  • Resolved, that capitalism is immoral.
  • Resolved, that Americans with HIV must register with the government.
  • Resolved, that an educated minority has the responsibility to lead an uneducated majority.

Having just recently participated in this year's Fall State convention, I must say that the distribution of political allegiance looks more encouraging. However, the presence of the NRA, the John Birch Society, the Christian Coalition, and a handful of other whacky right-wing lobby groups provided great entertainment as usual.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.