Born 1940. As one of Philadelphia's most prominent counterculture icons, Einhorn, also known as "The Unicorn", enjoyed guru status among hippies and new-age types throughout the 1960s and 1970s. The battered, decomposing body of his ex-girlfriend, Holly Maddux, was found by police in a steamer trunk in his apartment closet nearly two years after she went missing in 1977, prompting local police to arrest Einhorn on the spot.

Einhorn steadfastly claimed the corpse was planted in his home by the government as part of a conspiracy to either discredit his research into the paranormal, or punish him for his public stance against the US war in Vietnam. He also referred to himself in court as a planetary enzyme. His celebrity friends couldn't believe that he could commit murder, so they rallied to his side helped to talk his bail down to $40,000, which he promptly paid and jumped in 1981.

As a fugitive, Einhorn fled across Europe under the name Eugene Mallon, but he stayed mainly in Ireland because the country had no extradition treaty with the United States at the time. People who came into contact with Einhorn/Mallon during his years on the lam described him as a malodorous, hedonistic slob, prone to gluttony and multi-day orgies. Stymied, the state of Pennsylvania tried and convicted Einhorn in absentia in 1993, sentencing him to life in prison for murder.

When authorities finally caught up with Einhorn in 1997, he was living in the Champagne-Mouton region of France, still using the alias Eugene Mallon, and living with a Swedish woman named Annika Flodin, who he ultimately married. French authorities were only interested in prosecuting Einhorn for violating immigration law, and scoffed at extraditing Einhorn to Pennsylvania, since he wouldn't have a chance at a retrial after being convicted in absentia. Pennsylvania ended up amending their constitution in 1998 to allow retrials for recaptured criminals who were convicted in absentia just to persuade France to extradite Einhorn.

Once Einhorn was assured a retrial when he re-entered the U.S., France warmed up to the idea of extraditing him and began the formal court procedures, which Einhorn and his French attorney fought with vigor. The French courts, after tiring of Einhorn's wacky conspiracy theories and other nonsense, finally denied his last appeal and ordered him extradited to the US in July, 2001. Acting out of desperation, Einhorn superficially slit his own throat in public on July 12, 2001, moments before he was due to board a plane from France to Philadelphia. The stunt, which left him only mildly injured, bought him an extra week in France before he was ultimately extradited to Pennsylvania.

Upon returning to America, Einhorn was immediately incarcerated at Graterford State Prison as inmate number ES6859. After observing him for five weeks at the maximum security prison, Graterford officials decided to transfer Einhorn to the medium-security State Correctional Institution at Houtzdale, located in central Pennsylvania. In keeping their promise to allow Einhorn a retrial, Pennsylvania started a new murder trial for him on September 30, 2002. By October 17, 2002, the trial was over and the defendant was found guilty by the jury after only two hours of deliberation. Einhorn is now serving a mandatory life sentence without parole.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.