In"vo*lu`cre [L. involucrum a covering, wrapper, fr. involvere to wrap up, envelop: cf. F. involucre. See Involve.] Bot. (a)

A whorl or set of bracts around a flower, umbel, or head.


A continuous marginal covering of sporangia, in certain ferns, as in the common brake, or the cup-shaped processes of the filmy ferns.


The peridium or volva of certain fungi. Called also involucrum.


© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.