This is the genealogy of the programming language Internet C++:

Internet C++ is a child of C++.
Internet C++ was born in year 2000, and has not changed much since that time.

This genealogy is brought to you by the Programming Languages Genealogy Project.

Intended as a hybrid between C++ (syntax) and Java (virtual machine) that isn't C#, Internet C++ is an "operating environment"1 based around a C++ virtual machine. Splendid Systems created the project with a similar philosophy as Java but with goals of fast execution and a smaller learning curve. To that end, they claim that no porting is required from NetBSD code and have provided a gcc extension to compile for the platform.

Unfortunately, at this early stage the project has two major flaws:

  1. No Windows support. This is probably due to their starting point of NetBSD. According to the Splendid Systems website, none of the developers have quit their day jobs yet.
  2. Not Open Source. Although the source is available for download, they are currently only allowing for copies of functionality, no extensions. The documentation says that the full release will use the Motif license.

Update!

Internet C++ is now licensed under the GPL and runs in Windows.2 In addition, new features like Open GL have been added!


1: http://www.xmission.com/~icvm/Technology.htm

2: Thanks chaosbreather

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.