Process Manufacturing term. An intermediate is created from one or more raw materials but is not a finished good. Intermediates can be used in the manufacture of other intermediates or in the manufacture of a finished good. For example a paint company may make a clear base as an intermedate as well as several tinters. The tinters and clear bases are intermediates mixed together to produce the the final finished good (a red stain for wood or something).

In`ter*me"di*ate (?), a. [Pref. inter- + mediate: cf. F. interm'ediat.]

Lying or being in the middle place or degree, or between two extremes; coming or done between; intervening; interposed; interjacent; as, an intermediate space or time; intermediate colors.

Intermediate state Theol., the state or condition of the soul between the death and the resurrection of the body. -- Intermediate terms Math., the terms of a progression or series between the first and the last (which are called the extremes); the means. -- Intermediate tie. Arch. Same as Intertie.

 

© Webster 1913.


In`ter*me"di*ate (?), v. i.

To come between; to intervene; to interpose.

Milton.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.