In*tend" (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Intended; p. pr. & vb. n. Intending.] [OE. entenden to be attentive, F. entendre, fr. L. intendre, intentum, and intensum, to intend, attend, stretch out, extend; pref. in- in + tendere to stretch, stretch out. See Tend.]

1.

To stretch' to extend; to distend.

[Obs.]

By this the lungs are intended or remitted. Sir M. Hale.

2.

To strain; to make tense.

[Obs.]

When a bow is successively intended and remedied. Cudworth.

3.

To intensify; to strengthen.

[Obs.]

Sir T. Browne.

Magnetism may be intended and remitted. Sir I. Newton.

4.

To apply with energy.

Let him intend his mind, without respite, without rest, in one direction. Emerson.

5.

To bend or turn; to direct, as one's course or journey.

[Archaic]

Shak.

6.

To fix the mind on; to attend to; to take care of; to superintend; to regard.

[Obs.]

Having no children, she did, with singular care and tenderness, intend the education of Philip. Bacon.

My soul, not being able to intend two things at once, abated of its fervency in praying. Fuller.

7.

To fix the mind upon (something to be accomplished); to be intent upon; to mean; to design; to plan; to purpose; -- often followed by an infinitely with to, or a dependent clause with that; as, he intends to go; he intends that she shall remain.

They intended evil against thee. Ps. xxi. 11.

To-morrow he intends To hunt the boar with certain of his friends. Shak.

8.

To design mechanically or artistically; to fashion; to mold.

[Obs.]

Modesty was made When she was first intended. Beau. & Fl.

9.

To pretend; to counterfeit; to simulate.

[Obs.]

Intend a kind of zeal both to the prince and Claudio. Shak.

Syn. -- To purpose; mean; design; plan; conceive; contemplate.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.