Integrity
Integrity is ensuring data remains as it is meant to be. This is generally accomplished with CRC checksums and Digests. A CRC is a mathamatical function that checks data during transmition. A digest is a form of encryption commonly called a hash.

Doing, saying and - most important - believing the right things. This means, at least according to popular belief.

Being immune against selling out.

If we only knew what he's doing at Transmeta, many people would bet their lives on Linus Torvalds' integrity. OTOH nobody would do the same for William Gates.

Integrity

A word most lost in today's society. While a few business people keep in practice of it, those who stray away from it pay for it most dearly - it catches up to them.

Integrity is a lost art. "Doing what you say and saying what you do" is usually followed by circumstances for those who do not have integrity.

For example, an eye-opening indicator can be as simple as someone who has an appointment with another person and does not show up. No phone call, no word, no notice. The little voice can then go on to say, "the person has no respect for other people's time." This is aside from the possible circumstances that may occur - like death or an accident.

Integrity, the most basic human trait, is lost on people who "want it now". Delay of gratification is also practiced by very few. "Prosperity is given to those only after they have endured the real challenges in life." - Dexter Yaeger. People are not doing nearly as much as they say they would because instant gratification takes place in doing the right things at the right times.

Now, to "have" Integrity means to practice a few simple fundamentals:
1. No slander or slur about other people - not giving life to negativite talk (gossiping);
2. Keeping your word and sincerely apologizing when you don't;
3. Consistency of character - A piece of oak is stronger than a sheet of plywood because of its consistent makeup;
4. Congruency of character - Doing something that does not harm even when no one is watching.

In*teg"ri*ty (?), n. [L. integritas: cf. F. int'egrit'e. See Integer, and cf. Entirety.]

1.

The state or quality of being entire or complete; wholeness; entireness; unbroken state; as, the integrity of an empire or territory.

Sir T. More.

2.

Moral soundness; honesty; freedom from corrupting influence or motive; -- used especially with reference to the fulfillment of contracts, the discharge of agencies, trusts, and the like; uprightness; rectitude.

The moral grandeur of independent integrity is the sublimest thing in nature. Buckminster.

Their sober zeal, integrity. and worth. Cowper.

3.

Unimpaired, unadulterated, or genuine state; entire correspondence with an original condition; purity.

Language continued long in its purity and integrity. Sir M. Hale.

Syn. -- Honesty; uprightness; rectitude. See Probity.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.