I turned thirty today with the cliched mixture of emotions. Regret
Sadness. Strange the lack of positive emotions. Lack of positive emotions regarding my thrirties, that is.
Perhaps some of these feelings can be attributed to the great time I had in my twenties.
Then again I suppose everybody has a great time in their twenties.
Anyway, yesterday I was shooting the breeze with a colleague ( who is about 22) and feeling
like the old man that I am, I thought of a couple of points of advice. Now I'm
not saying that I live(d) by them all, but if you take a couple of these points to
heart, that inevitable segue into your thirties may contain one or two less regrets.
- Take a lot of photos. People in your life come and go. Unfortunately some of the people
who dissappear from your life are missed greatly. Photos bring back a million memories
and become priceless.
- Don't hesitate to do something a little scary. An example is quitting your job for something
that you want to do. If it works out, great. Even if it doesn't, it will open up
new opportunities and experiences that you would have missed sitting safe on your ass.
- Live so that all your old (boy/girl)friends will remember you for the things that
you have given them. Not material things of course.
- Recognise and remember what each significant person in your life has given you.
- Keep all your old letters, love letters, notes, correspondence. When you break
up with someone, don't tear up all their photos and letters. If it's that painful, put them
out of site for a couple of months or years. You probably shared a lot with this person,
don't throw away all the momentoes of that in the heat of the moment, you'll more than
likely regret it.
- Save some money. I'm not saying be a tight ass, but perhaps start a regular
savings plan with an automatic salary deduction. Waking up at thirty with a closet full of
fresh clothes but not a cent to your name is not a very nice feeling.
- Be open-minded, try new things.
- Don't feel guilty about your parents, do something about it.
- Don't tell
your friends your E2 username.