This one is started in the Instant Pot for quick cooking and may be transferred to a larger slow cooker if you opt to double it, as I do. It is so good that a single recipe never seems to be enough! Included are links for the products I use. Feel free to substitute as needed. These are readily available at my location and make an inexpensive and tasty meal which is so easy to prepare, I feel like I'm cheating! Divide quantities listed in half for single recipe but, like I said, you'll want to double it. Ground beef may be omitted for a vegetarian version (I haven't tried it but it should be fine).

2 of this: Vegetables for soup, 28 oz frozen

Optional but recommended Baby Lima Beans 12 oz frozen

One is enough Vegetable Juice 64 oz

Beef baseThis is optional (recommended) and there is a vegetarian version if that's your thing. Use a tablespoon dissolved in 1/2 cup water for double batch.

Ground beef, lean, 2.25 lbs

Prep: Put frozen vegetables and lima beans in Instant Pot and pour in enough vegetable juice to cover. I use the whole 64 oz bottle of veggie juice for the doubled batch in my 6 qt. instant pot. Add the dissolved beef base and place lid on Instant Pot. Make sure vent is closed and set "Manual" on 30 minutes (the default setting on mine). Now brown the ground beef in a large skillet on medium high heat. Here is where I spend a little extra time and break the ground beef into little bite-size pieces as I add it. It makes the texture of the beef chunky, which I like. If you are adding fresh or powdered garlic add it to the beef now. Cover the skillet and wait to stir the beef until it is all browned (no red). Once timer sounds on the Instant Pot, carefully open the vent to "Quick Release". Now, (carefully - it's HOT!) transfer contents of Instant Pot and browned beef into a large slow cooker (or a stock pot), set on "Low" or "Keep Warm" and enjoy! This last step is only necessary if you make a batch too large for the Instant Pot. If you do the 1/2 batch it won't be needed (or if you have a Monster Pressure cooker like Rancid_Pickle's).

Optional seasonings include fresh ground black pepper, salt (careful, the beef base contains salt), bay leaf, basil, garlic (fresh or powdered). I like to add a small can of Rotel because we like it spicy!

This makes a hearty meal by itself but a fresh batch of cornbread goes well or crackers of your choice, fresh french or italian bread. We even enjoy ours with tortilla chips, sometimes.

Is it soup yet? YES!

The recipe in npecom's node above is an exceptionally easy and quick meal to put together when an army descends on you with growling tummies. I have a similar (but less easy and quick) version that I use.

Stuffs:

Do-Its:

  1. Set your pressure cooker to sauté (large one works best, but this can be done in stages and dumped into a giant crock pot if needed. My monster pressure cooker is large enough to cook a whole 16lb frozen turkey for example, but I also have an 8qt Instant Pot and a large crock pot if I don't want to clean the monster out.)
  2. Put in half of the selected oil.
  3. Put in ground beef, break up into smaller chunks if using a chub.
  4. Add in the beef.
  5. Cook until well browned.
  6. If using a crock pot, dump everything in there so far and set it to "low", else remove and set aside.
  7. Add in other half of selected oil. No need to clean out the pressure cooker.
  8. Add chunked onions and garlic, sauté until browned.
  9. Chop and de-seed bell peppers into long strips or chunks, your call, and add them in. Sauté for two minutes.
  10. Add in all canned goods including vegetable juice.
  11. Add in all spices, stirring them in so they don't clump.
  12. Stir in beef broth.
  13. If you have a large enough pressure cooker, add the meat back in. If not, pull four cups of mixture and add to the crock pot with meat.
  14. Set pressure cooker to "pressure" setting. Cook for 20 minutes.
  15. Fast-release, being careful to avoid steam burns.
  16. Open the pressure cooker and add in potatoes.
  17. Close and pressure cook for another 20 minutes.
  18. When done, allow for a slow-release. Open and check potatoes for doneness. If needed, either pressure cook for an additional 10 minutes or set the device to slow cooker mode and let it bubble for another 45 minutes on medium.
  19. Serve in bowls with Italian bread to dip into the soup.
  20. Options are cooked bacon bits or hot peppers.

Once this concoction starts cooking your house will smell wonderful. When I make this I use my bread machine to make garlic-butter bread. For me, this lasts for three days of three meals per day. I never get tired of it. Enjoy!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.