This is a small guide on how to install the DivX 5 Pro package bundled with GAINware without being "infected" by the spyware included. It is based on a Microsoft Windows 2000 system, so if you have a different system, just adapt it yourself.

1. Download and launch Ad-Aware

Every individual concerned about their privacy should have Ad-Aware installed on his/her computer. You can download it at

http://www.lavasoft.de

for free. The most recent version as of December 5, 2002 is Ad-Aware 5.83.

Now launch Ad-Aware, and keep it running during the install process of DivX 5 Pro.

2. Launch the DivX 5 Pro installer

If you wish to know what you are avoiding by using this HOWTO, read the Gator license agreements. Aren't they rude? Anyway, click "Yes" on all the agreements. You won't follow them, but oh well, if you were, why would you be reading this, you cheating bastard? :)

Now quickly open your Windows Task Manager by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Escape and look at the processes. Now sort them by process ID (PID), and look at the bottom. Look for "gain_trickler_3" or something similar, and when you find it, END PROCESS immedately. This is the GAINware in action.

3. Run an Ad-Aware scan

Scan everything. Quick and deep registry scan. Scan ALL of your hard drives. Scan memory. Scan EVERYTHING.

There are a total of six (6) entries made after install of GAINware bundled with DivX 5 Pro:

* [D] Directory "C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Temp\fsg_tmp"
* [F] File "C:\Program Files\DivX\DivX Pro Codec\gain_trickler_3202.exe"
* [K] Registry "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{21ffb6c0-0da1-11d5-a9d5-00500413153c}"
* [K] Registry "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\gator.com"
* [K] Registry "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions\{xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx}"
* [V] Registry "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\Trickler"

Explained: The first four entries are Gator software. These are not so hazardous, so just check the first box to delete the temporary directory. The file and the CLSID is needed for verification.

The next entry is the Alexa browser monitoring tool. This is part 1 of the spyware. Check the box to remove the filth.

The next entry is Trickler, the executable file we are bound to keep. You MUST delete this entry before you reboot, because if not, the program will be run in the background and you will have running spyware on your computer. Check the box, quickly.

You should have boxes 1, 5 and 6 checked. Now click "continue". Voila! Your system is clean again, and you've got a good, clean version of DivX 5 Pro. And without paying $30!

...Disclaimer

The contents of this guide is probably illegal to exercise, and you shouldn't do it. I take no responsibility whatsoever for the consequences of reading this guide and/or performing the actions described herein.
Or something like that.


Update: thanks to Stavr0 for notifying me that it is www.lavasoft.de, not .com.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.