Sutter Kane: "Did I ever tell you my favorite color is blue?"

American horror movie, released in 1995. Directed by John Carpenter and written by Michael De Luca. Starred Sam Neill as skeptical investigator John Trent, Jurgen Prochnow as the mysterious Sutter Kane, Julie Carmen as love interest Linda Styles, Charlton Heston as book publisher Jackson Harglow, and Frances Bay as sweet old lady Mrs. Pickman.

It concerns John Trent, an insurance investigator, who is assigned to track down vanished horror novelist Sutter Kane. Kane's novels have a reputation for driving the people who read them insane, and Trent soon finds himself encountering places, people, and events from Kane's stories. Too bad his latest novel is supposed to be about the end of the world...

This is one of those head-trippy "movie- inside-a- movie-inside- a-book- inside-a- movie" movies. Most importantly, it's one of the few movies to actually make a pretty good stab at adapting Lovecraftian cosmic horror to the big screen. It isn't always successful -- some of the scenes are a bit silly -- but it has more than its share of chilling, creepy moments. The scene where the Elder Gods begin to burst through the walls of reality is worth the price of the rental all by itself.

John Trent: "Every species can smell its own extinction. The last ones left won't have a pretty time with it. In ten years, maybe less, the human race will just be a bedtime story for their children. A myth, nothing more."

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.