It was a lazy summer day in the Hundred Acre Wood, and Pooh and Piglet were taking full advantage, laying on the bank and racing pooh sticks. It being too lazy a day to properly race, Piglet and Pooh were just starting the races, in the hopes that someone else would perhaps keep track of the sticks and report on the results.

Just a bit after Piglet had finished the last pot of honey, but just a bit before Pooh had realized this, Pooh asked out of nowhere, "Have you ever wondered if we are in some sort of simulation?"

"What do you mean?" asked Piglet, hastily pushing an empty pot out of sight.

"I mean, what if we are characters being run on some sort of computer program? Or living corpses plugged into giant towers to provide power for some mysterious computer intelligence, but one that lets us hallucinate for some incomprehensible reason?"

"No," said Piglet.

"It's interesting," said Pooh, "because if anything like that were the case, we have no way of knowing what we mean by 'computer program'. It could be something completely different."

"No," said Piglet, "I have never wondered that."

"I mean, for all we know you can run conscious simulations on rocks, or through verbal narrative, or books, or something. We only assume we need a brain to be conscious because that's what the universe tells us. But if we can't trust the universe, we don't know anything."

"What's a computer?" asked Piglet.

"...I'm not sure," said Pooh, "it's just something that came to me while I was pondering honey."

"Perhaps," said Piglet, with a touch of concern, "you should take a nap. It might make you feel better."

"I don't know", said Pooh, "I can't help but feel that this is all just a dream as it is."

"You're talking funny," said Piglet, "you sound like Owl, except you're making even less sense."

"You're right. I guess I'm just being foolish."

"That's okay." Said Piglet "I don't mind."



"You are both fools," said Eeyore, "and who had that pine sick with the twiddly bit? It won easily."






"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, "Where'd all my honey go?"


Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.