A list of available song/pattern/channel/note effects of the classic tracker, Impulse Tracker, in alphabetical order.

Axx - Sets the speed
Bxx - Jumps to pattern "xx"
Cxx - Ends current pattern and jumps to position "xx" on next pattern
D0x - Volume slide down
Dx0 - Volume slide up
DFx - Fine volume slide down
DxF - Fine volume slide up
Exx - Pitch slide down
EFx - Fine pitch slide down
EEx - Extra fine pitch slide down
Fxx - Pitch slide up
FFx - Fine pitch slide up
FEx - Extra fine pitch slide up
Gxx - Portamento slide to note
Hxy - Vibrato with speed "x" and depth "y"
Ixy - Tremor with ontime "x" and offtime "y"
Jxy - Arpeggio with halftones "x" and "y"
Kxx - Vibrato with volume slide "xx"
Lxx - Portamento to node with volume slide "xx"
Mxx - Set channel volume
N0x/Nx0/NFx/NxF - Channel volume slides (see
D0x, etc.)
Oxx - Set sample offset
P0x/Px0/PFx/PxF - Panning slides (left/right)
Qxy - Retrigger note after "y" frames with volume modifier "y"
Rxy - Tremolo with speed "x" and depth "y"
S3x - Set vibrato waveform (0 = sine wave, 1 = square wave, 2 = ramp down, 3 = random)
S4x - Set tremolo waveform (same as above)
S5x - Set panbrello waveform (same as above)
S70 - Past note cut }
S71 - Past note off } in instrument mode
S72 - Past note fade }
S6x - Pattern delay for "x" ticks
S73 - Set NNA to note cut
S74 - Set NNA to continue
S75 - Set NNA to note off
S76 - Set NNA to note fade
S77 - Turn volume envelope off
S78 - Turn volume envelope on
S8x - Set panning position (provided for Screamtracker compatibility)
S91 - Set pseudo-surround sound
SAy - Set high offset
SB0 - Set loop back point
SBx - Loop "x" times to loop back point
SDx - Note cut after "x" frames
SEx - Pattern delay for "x" rows
Txx - Set tempo to "xx"
T0x - Tempo slide down
T1x - Tempo slide up
Uxy - Fine vibrato with speed "x" and depth "y"
Vxx - Set global volume
W0x/Wx0/WFx/WxF - Slide global volume
Xxx - Set panning position to "xx"
Yxy - Panbrello with speed "x" and depth "y"

Remember: Values should be in Hex

Kudos to "Impulse Tracker for the Compleat Idiot" and my memory

Some explanation (I have missed out effects that I don't know how to use myself yet or that are sufficiently explained in the above w/u):

For most effects, specifying the effect letter with 0 as the value means 'continue effect with last effect value'.

Axx - Sets the speed in ticks per line. For instance, if you set the speed to 3 (A03) each line of your pattern will take three ticks to play.

Bxx - Jumps to pattern "xx" where xx refers to the position of the pattern in the song. The first pattern in the sequence is pattern 0 (regardless of its actual pattern number)

Exx - Pitch slide (portamento) down. The xx is the number of semitones that the slide will go through in 24 ticks.

EFx - Fine pitch slide down. Similar to above, but at half the speed (ie - the x specifies how many semitones to slide in 48 ticks)

EEx - Extra fine pitch slide down. A quarter of the speed of the regular pitch slide.

Fxx, FEx and FFx work in the same way as above.

Gxx - Portamento (pitch slide) to note. Specify a starting note (if none specified, the tracker will use the last note played on that channel) then specify the note to be slid to:

|C-5 01 ... ... <-- note to start on
|... .. ... ...
|... .. ... ...
|... .. ... ...
|D-5 01 ... G03 <-- slide starts here
|... .. ... G00
|... .. ... G00 <-- slide continues until it hits the target note
|... .. ... G00
|... .. ... G00
|... .. ... G00
|... .. ... G00
The Portamento To Note effect will work either up or down in pitch, depending on the relationship of the two notes. It is different to Exx and Fxx because the slide stops once it hits the target note. The parameters work in the same way, however.
GFF will make a sample slide almost instantly from one note to another. This is great if you have several notes very close together, as it creates a 'slur' effect. Instead of the sample being played from the start for each note, it is only played once, but its speed is altered throughout its length. This makes quickly-played notes sound 'smoother' as the notes merge into one another.

Jxy - Arpeggio. This will play the base note, followed by a note x semitones up from it, followed by a note y semitones up. The three notes are played within the space of one row in the pattern, so the arpeggio speed is directly controlled by the pattern speed (Axx) as well as the tempo.

Kxx (vibrato + vol slide) and Mxx (portamento to note + vol slide) are combined effects. The parameters for the first effect are taken from the last effect of that type used.

Mxx - Set channel volume (xx being a hex value from 1 to 80. Higher values are ignored.)

Oxx - Set sample offset in 256-byte blocks. Good for chopping off troublesome transients or playing a sample in (rather rough-sounding) reverse. O01 offsets playback 256 bytes into the sample, O02 512 bytes, and so on.

SAy - Set high offset. Used together with the Oxx command, this sets the offset to yxx*256 bytes. Set it before you use the Oxx command.

Zxx - Macro. This is an interesting command, especially as I haven't seen it covered anywhere else, and have only seen one song using it. Essentially, it's a configurable command where the value can dynamically alter various different tracker settings. In ModPlug, the exact settings that are altered can be changed from the Zxx Macro Configuration dialog, which is accessed through the Zxx button on the toolbar above the Pattern window. The most useful settings will probably be: Z00-Z7F controls Filter Cutoff or Filter Resonance, Z80-ZFF controls whatever Filter setting the first macro isn't controlling.

Use the Zxx command beside a note to temporarily change the filter value for that note. For instance:

|A-3 08 ... Z00
|A-4 08 ... Z20
|A-5 08 ... Z40
|A-3 08 ... Z60
Used with a harmonics-heavy wave such as a saw wave, and with the Zxx command set to adjust Filter Cutoff, this creates a nice swelling filter effect.
I'll write more on the Zxx commands (specifically the Fixed Macro range, Z80-ZFF) once I figure out how to use them. Also note that WinAmp's MikMod mod player seems to have trouble with Zxx macros.

The easiest way to get to know these effects is to download as many good tracked songs as you can, and use a tracker such as Impulse Tracker to look at how the songs were constructed. Pull them apart and see what makes them tick.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.