Back when it was still young and growing, the United State of Illinois looked to the international scene for good names of cities. There's nothing new or un-American about this; New York City and New Orleans were just two of the country's larger cities to borrow their names from other countries. Why bother to cook up a name of your own when you can just borrow someone else's, especially if that city has a great and recognizable heritage already attached to it?

But Illinois also had a problem. It was filled with German-Americans, which were (and are) much like native Germans but exponentially more stubborn. And so, while most of the English-speaking state did and does practice what's now considered a "normal" American accent, they did and do mangle the pronounciations of the city names they imported. The worst offenders:

  • Cairo - pronounced "KAY-roh" when you mean the one in Illinois
  • Eldorado - "el doh-RAY-doh"
  • Marseilles - "mar-SELL-is"
  • San Jose - "san JOES", but with a heavy "s" sound instead of a "z"
  • Versailles - "vair-SALES"
  • Vienna - "VIE-enna"
  • Rome - well, at least we got that one right.

Now, what's ironic is that almost every Illinoisian (save for some die-hard Chicagoans) pronounces the state's name correctly as "ill-ih-NOY" instead of "ill-ih-NOISE". And it's just this state -- right next door, in Iowa, they pronounce Des Moines with two silent esses; if it were in Illinois, they'd call it "Dess MOYNSS" and insist it was correct.

But as I said, German-Americans are notoriously stubborn. An anecdote reprinted in a local paper once told of a newly-hired conductor on a passenger train running south through the state, back when trains were the only good way to get anywhere. He called for the stop at San Jose -- long "o", silent "e" -- and was corrected by another employee with the Spanish pronounciation.

He corrected himself, and announced the stop for "San Hoh-SAY" a couple of times. Nobody got off the train. The train picked up speed again, left the station, and soon a small group of irate passengers demanded to know why he'd not announced the stop for San Jose when the train had stopped there.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.