Iida Dakotsu (1885-1962) was a reclusive Japanese poet and essayist, the author of nine collections of haiku.

Dakotsu was the son of a prominent landowner in the Yamanshi prefecture near Mt. Fuji. He studied English literature at Waseda University and wrote Western influenced poetry and short stories. In 1909, he gave up his studies, sold his books, and returned to rural Yamanshi.

In Yamanshi, he took the pseudonym "Sanro" ("mountain hut") and retired to a relatively reclusive life in his native mountain village. However, Dakotsu was still active, perhaps more so now, as an author. He became the editor of a small local haiku magazine, Isinglass, and under his stewardship it became a first-rate publication. He traveled frequently, visiting China and Korea. The years from 1941 to 1946 were bleak for Dakotsu, because he lost his parents and three sons.

He has been called the "modern Basho" because of his reverence for nature and the serene dignity and beauty of his poetry. His collections of haiku include Collection of Poems at a Mountain Hut (1932), Collection of Mountain Echoes (1940), Spring Orchids (1947), and Snowy Valleys (1951).

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.