iatrogenic: generated or induced by the physician; pertaining to physical or mental aliments or disease due to the actions of the physician, as in iatrogenic disease, the result of exposure to pathogens, toxins or injurious treatment or procedures by the physician, or from alarming or traumatizing diagnosis.

Dictionary of Sexology Project: Main Index

Iatrogenic illnesses can be even more subtly psychological, as when a client becomes entirely dependent on a therapist for emotional support, or when an overly-directive hypnotist subtly encourages a client to confabulate memories of abuse, alien abduction, etc.

Two examples of iatrogenic conditions, one trivial and one serious :-

False hypertension. It's extremely common that your blood pressure, when taken by a doctor in his clinic, may be quite a bit higher than its normal resting value (for instance, if you immediately go home and take it yourself with one of those blood-pressure meters which are now commonly available for self-use, you may well find it to be ten or even twenty points lower).

This is presumably a psychological or nervous effect, even though it occurs when the subject may in fact feel perfectly at ease with the examining physician.

Cross-infection with methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA). This is far more serious and is becoming, in hospitals in the UK at any rate, more common than it was a decade ago.

Staphylococcus aureus, the 'golden staph', is often found, harmlessly, on the skin; but if it is transferred to the bloodstream or elsewhere, either during an operation or via a recovering surgical wound, it can produce an extremely dangerous infection --- for instance, septicaemia --- and is responsible for a number of hospital deaths each year.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.