InSight was the name given to an OS development project which spanned July 1997 to January 1998. The InSight project attempted to build an entire OS from scratch, encorporating a wide range of new ideas and design concepts.
A few ex-InSight members went&on to contribute their work to other projects, such as KDE and GNOME. The InSight project eventually failed due to a lack of effort on behalf of its head coder, Ben J. Ciaccio, who ultimately had nothing to show for over 7 months worth of effort.

Insight is a molecular graphics suite of programs by MSI/Biosym which incorporates a lot of different methods for working with proteins in silico and doing computational chemistry. One can perform molecular dynamics calculations using various engines including Discover and charmm, the industry standard. Additionally, one can explore other aspects of computational biology such as molecular docking, electrostatics calculations, homology modelling for building proteins of unknown structure and many others.

Insight provides a nice graphical interface to these tools. This is particularly useful to biologists who do not want to write code themselves or get hung up on the sometimes nasty command line interfaces or scripting interfaces many of these programs normally use.

Insight is a track by the post punk group Joy Division. A truly breath taking record, with, in my opinion, quite possibly the best intro of any their work. This is no mean feat by anyone’s standards, just think of the intros to Love Will Tear Us Apart, Disorder, Something must break, Shadowplay....The list is not small. It starts with slow and deep guitar licks, then the drums come in with Atari type synthesized 'pinging' noises. What follows can best be described an earthquake at a snail`s pace. There is an expectation of a fast and hard base to accompany the flurry of drum beats. It never arrives.

Stunning.

For me, in one respect, this intro is like Led Zeppelin`s Stairway to Heaven. One can never guess when the drums are going to kick in, no matter how many times one listens.

Stunning.

Ian Curtis` (their late front man) voice, as with the vast majority of their recordings, is mesmerising. Emotionless(yet somehow brimming with emotion), haunted, fascinating and powerfull.

"Guess your dreams always end.
They don't rise up, just descend,
I don't care anymore,
I've lost the will to want more,
I'm not afraid not at all,
I watch them all as they fall,
But I remember when we were young".


No, I`m not going to give my interpretation of this track. It has been done too many times. If you are curious then listen to it. To quote Ian Curtis via alex`s node about their first album Unknown Pleasures:
"The lyrics have one meaning for me but don't necessarily have the same meaning for somebody else. If you only hear the lyrics it's more up to your own imagination". --I.C.
There is no improving on this, so I`m not going to bother as the quote above, in my opinion , says all that needs to be said.
This is not one of my favorite Joy Division tracks but I feel the intro itself deserves a node.

Stunning.

Discography:

Unknown Pleasures, August 1979
Heart and Soul, September 1999
The Complete BBC Recordings/Peel Sessions, August 2000
My personal favourite version is the Peel Sessions/BBC recordings.

Stunning.

In"sight` (?), n.

1.

A sight or view of the interior of anything; a deep inspection or view; introspection; -- frequently used with into.

He had an insight into almost all the secrets of state. Jortin.

2.

Power of acute observation and deduction; penetration; discernment; perception.

Quickest insight In all things that to greatest actions lead. Milton.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.