Katsudon is an abbreviation of Tonkatsu Donburi which basically means breaded pork cutlet in a deep bowl.

After eating katsudon for the past 4 days in a row I decided to try eliminating the pork and using tofu instead. I'm not trying to make the tofu taste like meat. Tofu doesn't taste like meat, and no, tofu cannot taste like meat. I don't care how close you think Yves' Veggie Dogs or Tofurkey comes to the real thing. If you think that's what meat tastes like I think you ought to go have your self a steak and get reaquainted with seared flesh.

Ingredients
  • 2 slices of firm tofu, 1/2 inch thick, marinated in your favourite marinade (soy sauce, maple syrup, water, and spices)
  • 3 cups cooked glutinous rice(not DMan's recipe. just plain rice)
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped cabbage
  • 1 carrot, thinly sliced
  • 1 rib celery, thinly sliced
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 1 egg beaten (no eggs for vegans, if anyone knows a good way to get bread crumbs to stick to something without egg please let me know)
  • 1 tbsp sugar (I like brown sugar)
  • 2 tbsp light soy sauce
  • 2 tbsp canola oil
  • 1 c dry bread crumbs
  • 1/2 c all purpose flour
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme
  • salt
  • mirin

Method
  1. In a food processor (or spice grinder, coffee grinder) blend bread crumbs, thyme, and cayenne
  2. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a frying pan on medium, arrange 3 dishes in this order: 1 plate of flour, 1 bowl of egg, 1 plate of bread crumbs
  3. Flour all edges of the tofu slices, dip them in egg, and then coat with bread crumbs
  4. Fry the tofu slices until golden brown, turn often
  5. Remove the tofu slices from heat and set them on a plate or cutting board to settle (they will be delicate while they're hot)
  6. In a bowl mix soy sauce, sugar, and a splash of mirin to taste
  7. Rinse out the frying pan (or use 2 pans) and heat the other tbsp of oil, also on medium
  8. Fry onions until golden, add the rest of the vegetables and stir fry until the cabbage is cooked through, splash with a bit of the soy sauce mixture and add the rest of the egg
  9. Cover until the egg is cooked
  10. Cut the tofu into sticks, about 1/2 inch wide
  11. In a deep bowl put: rice, vegetables and egg, tofu, and pour as much sauce on as desired. You may wish to reserve some of the sauce and use it to dip the tofu in.

Serves 1 for dinner, or 2 for lunch (where a person eats as much as I do)

Variation

For a different texture you can freeze the tofu and thaw it out again before marinating and frying. Slice it first, and then put it in the freezer. When it's frozen and has darkened take it out again and thaw it. The texture of frozen tofu is chewier than ordinary tofu.

You may also wish to cook the tofu in the marinade somewhat, which is what i did. I baked it in the oven, covered in the marinade, at 350 degrees F. until I was satisfied with the colour.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.