Now, I'm not saying you shouldn't have a colored computer, or that it shouldn't be a color you like. What I am saying is that when you are posting for help or looking for info about your machine, what color it is has no bearing on the problem, and I don't really care.

This is most significantly a problem with new Apple machines. Yes, I know, a blue and white G3 is different than a graphite G4, but what really matters is RAM, CPU, and disk, and assorted items. You also cannot be sure that the color of the computer defines what's inside--someone may have changed it. Thinking that since I know you have a strawberry iMac will mean I will figure something important out about you or your computer is just silly.

The color of your computer is not the most important thing about it, just like the color of your car isn't either. Again, color is nice and whatnot, but it doesn't significantly affect how the thing actually works.

Actually, there is a reason that many Mac owners describe the machine's case (often using color) when posting in computer forums.

In recent history -ever since the iMac- Apple has changed the design of their cases with every new revision to their desktop lines. Aside from being a good marketing tool, it also provides an easy way to tell models apart.

Perhaps the most striking difference between models is between the Beige G3 and the Blue G3. Although these machines share the same processor, the underlying architectures are fundamentally different. Blue G3 machines use what Apple calls the "New World" architecture, a layout now common to all of their computers, first pioneered in the iMac. Among other things, the size and role of the infamous Mac ROM is drastically reduced in New World, which was originally supposed to be a transitional design on the way to a totally ROM-less architecture, "Open World". Open World got killed by Steve Jobs along with the clones, but New World lived on. the reason New World is important is that the boot process is significantly more powerful, but also fundamentally different from, previous designs.

mrichich also notes the strawberry iMac, stating that it isn't possible to tell anything important about the machine from the color alone. Actually, this isn't true. "Strawberry" points to the third revision of the iMac line, which made some significant changes from its predecessor, but was in turn very different from the fourth revision, which included FireWire and a faster processor among other things. These are things that most iMac owners frankly neither know nor care about, and thus getting detailed technical information out of them can be difficult, but the color of the machine actually carries significant connotations in the Mac world.

By and large, of course, this phenomenon is unique to Macs. However, within that community, it is actually highly useful.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.