Hardboiled crime novel by Mickey Spillane. Published in 1947, it is Spillane's first novel and the first appearance of his detective Mike Hammer. I, the Jury was written in only nine days; hardcover sales were poor, but it sold like gangbusters in paperback, spawning a whole series of Hammer novels.

The last line of the book remains a classic of noir fiction: when asked how he could shoot the book's villainess in cold blood, Hammer replies "It was easy."

Also, a mix tape I made in the early 1990s. The image I had in my mind as I selected the songs from my stack of singles was of a 1950s private eye standing alone and desolate on an empty street at night, leaning against his '57 Cadillac. Listening to it again, I am shocked to find that I somehow failed to put "Sleepwalk" by Santo and Johnny on it. Maybe when I eventually re-create it on CD I'll rectify that. I've found that it's a great tape to play when you're out driving alone at night, playing pool, or just sitting and wondering what the hell went wrong with your life.

I, THE JURY

  1. Peter Gunn Theme - Henry Mancini
  2. Harlem Nocturne - The Viscounts
  3. I Put A Spell On You - Screamin' Jay Hawkins
  4. Rumble - Link Wray
  5. Runaway - Del Shannon
  6. Bo Diddley - Bo Diddley
  7. In Dreams - Roy Orbison
  8. Blue Velvet - Bobby Vinton
  9. The Crying Game - Dave Berry

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.