With all due respect to everyone and other serious students of Classical Mythology, the following is a possible result of clicking on Random nodeshells.


The Hyacinthides were daughters of Erechtheus (1397 – 1347 B.C.), a king of Athens in Greek Mythology.

Erechtheus had at least seven daughters, among them Chthonia, Protogeneia, and Pandora. (No, not the dame with the bad luck treasure chest, another one.) One of these (or maybe all three) were either sacrificed or killed themselves in order to save the citizens of Athens during a time of war. (Don’t ask which war; the Greeks were always at war). Some of the remaining sisters were said to have killed themselves as well (depending on which version of the mythological tales you read).

Chthonia (also known as Otionia) was married to her father’s twin brother, Butes. This doesn't seem to have been a factor in her death; one daughter was designated for sacrifice and she, being the youngest, was chosen (last in, first out). The other two, under an earlier pact, had sworn that all three would die together.

These daughters of Erechtheus are sometimes referred to as the Erechtheidae. To make matters even more confusing, the name Hyacinthides is also used for the daughters of Hyacinth, a Spartan and a native of Lacedaemon. (This is not same young man, “beloved by Apollo”, who was turned into a flower after being accidentally slain by his mentor.)

The four daughters of the Lacedaemonian Hyacinth were sacrificed by the Athenians in an attempt to end famine and plague cast upon the city by Minos’ prayer to Zeus. (Multiple daughters apparently were expendable assets in Athens.)

Such confusion between the Erechtheidae and the Hyacinthidaes is understandable, given the large number of young women who killed themselves or were killed in sacrifical rituals. Dr. Garrison of Texas A&M has cataloged well over 60 incidents, among them other sister groups such as Alcis and Androcleia, the Coronides, the Ledontides, and the Sirens.

Suicide in Classical Mythology, a subject Dr. Garrison covers in depth for both males and females, can be related to a host of motives ranging from abandonment to love to fear to shame. In the case of multiple suicides among sisters it was frequently sacrifical or the result of a death pact. With Classical Mythology being as imprecise as it is, given the various cultures involved and the lengthy chronological span, self-sacrifice and induced sacrifice are often interchangeable.


E2’s Dictionary of Classical Mythology
Wikipedia : see ‘Erechtheus (mythology)’, ‘Hyacinth’, and ‘Pederasty in ancient Greece’
http://stoa.org/diotima/essays/garrison_catalogue.shtml
http://stoa.org/diotima/essays/garrison_essay.shtml

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.