As I've already noted, my maternal Grandmother would make her grandchildren pick fruits and berries all spring through early fall. We would then bake and can everything we picked. It was hard work but it was also fun.

The end of July through August was huckleberry picking time at Chapman Lake, where I spent each summer of my life until I was 21. My Grandmother would make huckleberry muffins and my favorite, huckleberry pie:

I suggest making two of lolaleigh's pie crusts - or buy two. But your pie won't be as good if you cheat.

Lightly spray your pie dish with a non-stick spray.

Pre-heat your oven to 425 degrees.

  • 4 cups of huckleberries, cleaned and stemmed
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 tablespoon of flour
  • 1 teaspoon of grated lemon zest - do not substitute lemon extract, please.
  • 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons of butter, divided into 16 pieces
  • 2 tablespoons of heavy cream
  • 2 teaspoons of sugar

Line your pie dish with one of the two pie crusts. In a bowl mix all ingredients except for the last three: butter, cream and 2 tablespoons of sugar. Put the mixture in the pastry lined pie dish and then put the pieces of butter on top of the berry mixture.

Place the other pie crust on top of the berry mixture, and brush the top of the crust with the cream. Sprinkle the sugar on top and then cut three or four holes in the pastry so the steam can vent.

Put the pie dish on a lined baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Then, turn the heat down to 350 and let the pie bake for 20 more minutes.

Serve warm or cold, topped with whipped cream or ice cream.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.