Extreme right wing candidate for president under the constitution party.

Worse than Bush, Phillips is very anti-communist, anti-socialist, and anti-environmentalist.

Born in 1941, married, and father of 6 children, Phillips was one of the founding members of the Constitution Party (then known as the U.S. Taxpayers Party). He's run for president in 1992, 1996, and 2000.

He thinks abortion should allways be illegal, and wants to cut funding to everything except the military and NASA]. Everything, including education, transportation, etc.

Wants God involved in politics. You may as well vote for whoever's running under the Fascist Party (yes Virgina, there is a fasicst party) if you plan to vote for him.

About the only major third party candidate besides Pat Buchanan who might take votes away from Bush.

Howard Phillips was, for a time in the 80s, America's Game Master, a spokesperson and general Elder One for Nintendo of America. If you were a child of the 80's, more than likely you were at some point dully aware of his existence.

Howard's great mark on the world was Howard and Nester, a random little one-to-two-page comic that was featured in Nintendo Power magazine... well, from the beginning. Every copy of that magazine ever printed, up until a couple years ago, at one point passed through my closet, and as far as i remember Howard and Nester were there from the very first issue, the one featuring Super Mario 2.

Howard and Nester was about Howard Phillips' adventures with a random young person named Nester (Get it?? NESter?? It's a PUN!! HA HA!! ...you're not laughing). The comic was in that great tradition of short anecdotal fables which capture some small portion of the existence of generic archetypes of human figures in order to encapsulate for the reader some great universally applicable moral or lesson to be learned. Except that in Howard and Nester, the encapsulated lesson was always something like "In Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, make sure you collect a full 99 scrolls before going to fight the level bosses."

The comic played heavily off outwardly portraying Howard as a complete ditzy goober, a blankly smiling nicely dressed idiot in a bow tie, and Nester as a self-aware, cocky, worldly teenager with spiky red hair. Except that by the end of the comic Nester would have revealed himself to be a complete idiot, and Howard would have parted his grin briefly to let knowledge flow from the vast abyss-like store of wisdom and experience that roared hidden within him, rescuing Nester from his own cluelessness and saving the day.

Everyone who read Nintendo Power saw him mentioned there and in other random places in the magazine, and we all knew he was in some way connected to Nintendo and was an Important Person. But nobody, to this day, is quite sure what, exactly, that his job was.

In 1991 Howard left Nintendo and drifted for a long time. Some say he now works at Microsoft. It is documented that he was in some way involved, seemingly as some kind of project head, with something called "Microsoft Baseball 3D". Other than this, his life and legacy remain shadowy to us mortals.

As for the Howard and Nester comic, it continued for a time, now without Howard and called just "Nester", then was quietly dropped from the magazine.

There is, by the way, no connection between this Howard Phillips and the little statue of id that RainFire speaks of above.

Howard Phillips was born in Boston in 1941. He is married to Margaret Phillips and has 6 children. He graduated from Harvard in 1962.

He served in various capacities in the Republican Party, working his way up to become the Director of the U.S. Office of Economic Opportunity under Richard Nixon. He resigned in protest because Nixon did not cut enough funding to social programs.

Since 1974, he has been the chairman of The Conservative Caucus, a supposedly "non-partisan" (despite the name) advocacy group. He has been the presidential candidate of the Constitution Party (formerly the U.S. Taxpayers Party) since 1992. The name is ironic because some of the views expressed by Phillips and his party are blatantly unconstitutional.

Views:

Abortion: Supports criminalization of abortion.

Civil Rights: Against affirmative action.

Education: Wants Christianity and "wholesome issues" in school.

Environment: Thinks federal ownership of public lands is unconstitutional.

Firearms: Against ownership restrictions.

Health care: Against federal involvement in health care, against tobacco and alcohol taxes.

International Affairs: Anti-immigration, for English as a "national language", against citizenship for children of immigrants born in the US (which is unconstitutional).

Capital Punishment: Wants to return to Biblical (actually Old Testament) views on capital punishment, an eye for an eye.

Taxes: Against FICA, capital gains, inheritance, gift, and business taxes.

Military: No "undeclared wars", no US troops under foreign command (when are they now?).

Thanks to the Fall 2000 students in SLS 1101 section 55 at the University of South Florida for providing much of the factual information contained in these writeups.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.