Please note that while this node specifically refers to the Honda CB400F, it's probably applicable to any non-fuel-injected bike from the 60s-80s.

Well, the rainy season is beginning here in lovely Washington State, and now seems like a great time to think about storing your bike for the winter. Those living in sunnier climes may not need this information for a month or so yet, if ever, but for many of us the season is already over. Here's how to secure your baby, and engage in a little preventative maintenance.

1.) Take out the battery, and store it in a cool, dry place. You may want to place the battery on something non-conductive, like a rubber mat. Batteries can expel their charge through concrete floors, so be aware. Every two-three weeks, trickle charge the battery using a 0.5 amp charger. The proper amperage for motorcycle batteries is 1/2 amp and no greater. The plates in these batteries are very thin compared to car batteries and are easily damaged by high amperage charging. Fill the battery with distilled water to the proper mark if it appears to be low.

2.) Fill the gas tank up to the very top. This eliminates the air chamber above the fuel that is a place for condensation and water buildup. Water buildup == rust, and rust particles in your gas supply is a Bad Thing which can result in poor performance.

3.) Turn the fuel petcock to off and drain the carburetors. The screw located on the bottom of the carb float bowls will allow easy drainage. If you do nothing else, you should empty the carbs. Your bike should never be left sitting for more than two weeks with the same gas in the carbs. The lighter components of gasoline tend to vaporize off leaving the heavier ones, also known as varnish. This can also cause poor performance, and usually means you'll have to take the carb assembly out and give it a good cleaning. Spare yourself the trouble, drain the carbs.

4.) Extract each spark plug and squirt in a shot of fogging oil down into the cylinder. With the ignition in the off position, kick over the engine to coat the walls of the cylinder with oil. Replace the plugs.

5.) Squirt a shot of fogging oil into each exhaust.

6.) Rub down any chrome with an oil dampened rag.

7.) Place the bike on its center stand and deflate the tires slightly. This is not really required but it does prolong the use of the tires a bit.

Vola, your winterization is complete. This can save you a lot of aggrivation in the long run, and helps get you out on the road faster when spring finally rolls around. Ride on!
One further suggestion to add to an otherwise excellent wu...

The addition of a fuel stabilzer (I use STA-BIL) to the full tank of gas before you put your motorcycle away for the winter will help keep the fuel from breaking down and as well help pervent varnish.

Good luck and keep the rubber side down.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.