This node is all about how to pack up your machine and take it to a LAN Party.

The first thing you need to know is how you're going to get there. If you're walking, I recommend you get a hiking backpack. This will fit a small tower or desktop case. Better, call a cab and save yourself the effort. Walking sucks.

If you're taking a public transportation device, like a bus, you're going to want to keep as much stuff as possible with you. In a bus or similar conveyance, you want to put the case itself down in the foot area, hold the monitor on your lab, and keep the keyboard, mouse, joystick, UPS, and whatever else you're bringing in a backpack. This will be exceedingly cramped, but it's the best solution. It's extremely hard to carry all of this stuff by yourself, but it can be done for short distances. If you have the money, buy a second seat.

If you've got a car, you've got the most options. Put your case in the back in the foot area on the passenger's side, and push the front passenger's seat all the way back. This will essentially lock it in place. Take your monitor, and put it into the seat behind you. Face the screen sideways if you can- your goal in orienting the monitor is to avoid scratches. Put the seatbelt on it, assuming it will reach. This keeps it in place. If it doesn't fit, you'll have to go for the front passenger seat.

You're going to want to have a backpack anyway. A backpack lets you keep all the miscellaneous stuff (speakers/headphones, joysticks, game pads, mice, keyboards, power strips, UPSs, etc.) together. Put it either on the floor on the front passenger's side or in the trunk.

If you've got a car-load of people, see the section above on public transportation- space is going to be at a premium, so get everything as tight and secure as possible.

If you're travelling by mass commercial airlines, you're going to want a small case, so you can take it as a carry-on. The monitor is probably going to be too big to take on the plane, so get a nice big box, pack it with massive quantities of packing foam (it's especially good if you have the foam your monitor came with) or some similar styrofoam-like substance, tape it up securely, and write "FRAGILE" on it in many places. Keep the rest of your miscellaneous equipment in, you guessed it, a backpack. This will be your second carry-on.

Good luck, and happy LAN Partying!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.