well, there are obviously many ways to skin this cat..

confession is good for the soul....

When I was in 2nd or 3rd grade, I took out the school's library and a ton of books.

Why? I have no idea whatsoever. It was one of those spur-of-the-moment things. I actually loved the library, and I spent quite a bit of my time in there reading college-level astronomy textbooks. Yes, I was an advanced reader for my age, but I was still a stupid little kid.

At the end of school on a Friday, I plopped a wad of paper towels in the sink that was next to the librarian's desk. I then turned on the water and left. About five minutes later, I had completely forgotten about it, and was playing soccer with my friends.

On Monday, I was pulled out of class to see the principal. Sitting in his office was my very pissed-off mother and her alcoholic boyfriend. They knew it was me, and I didn't deny it. I kept answering them with the shrug and the "I don't know." I know how that routine pisses me off when my kids use it on me, so I suspect I was lucky to survive to my next birthday.

I had flooded the library up to the bottom inch of the lower shelves of books. I killed a forest worth of books, about 4,000. They had to repair the shelves, the floor and the roof below. My family was rather poor, and couldn't foot the $85,00000 bill. This was in the very early 1970's, mind you, when money was worth more. Luckily the insurance covered it. I went to a psychologist for two years to find out why I did it.

To this day I couldn't say why. Books are a large part of my life. Perhaps my writing and reading is my personal penance for my stupid act of destruction.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.