Song by John Shuttleworth, track sixteen on the album The Yamaha Years.

how to be happy in a sad, sad world
it's incredibly easy
and to tell you will please me
go for a stroll with your arm round a lassie
have a quick snack at the boating lake cafe
how to be happy in a sad, sad world

how to be happy in a sad, sad world
it's incredibly simple
unlike popping a pimple ('cos that can be quite tricky, can't it)
go caravanning in clwyd or dyfed
order a pizza and have it delivered
how to be happy in a sad, sad world

you should be happy with your lot
the friends and the neighbours you have got
(ken:) what if you live in sareavo, john?
fortunately ken, we do not!

visit a friend in a home or a hospice
go to the zoo and say 'boo!' to the ostrich
how to be happy in a sad, sad world

how to be happy in a sad, sad world
is to know that it's really not a sad, sad world

(no, it's a nice world. for most people)


in answer to the literaly two's of messages i got from people coming to this node and expecting some kind of positive advice i've been having a little think about it and come up with a few ideas of my own.

  • Buy a Big Issue and have a chat with the vendor. Which more or less fits in the song. I tried to write another verse but got as far as this one then failed.

  • Have at least one platonic friend of the opposite sex. At least one, but the more the merrier. Forget what Billy Crystal says, it's more than possible.

  • Doing good things for people not only increases your chance in getting good things done for you, it also completely justifies any case of kicking the arse of anyone that pisses you off.

  • Spread a little sunshine around, even on rainy days. Especially on rainy days.

  • Oh, and if you like a node, why not /msg the author and tell them about it. That way we can all be warm and fuzzy and world peace will soon be a reality. (ahem). Perhaps not.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.