Hot cross buns!
Hot cross buns!
One a penney, two a penney,
Hot cross buns!

Hot cross buns!
Hot cross buns!
If you have no daughters,
Give them to your sons!

Hurrah for hot cross buns!

nursery rhyme

This is the first song (kind of) that children learn in the Yamaha Music School curriculum.

In 4/4 time, sung in solfege, it's: "Mi re do (rest) mi re do (rest) do do re re mi re do (rest)" where "mi" corresponds to E, "re" to D, and "do" to C.

This remains one of a very few piano songs that I can confidently play, after nine years of childhood lessons. But I'll be damned if I ever forget it.

2 pkg Yeast

1/4 cup warm water

1 cup milk

1/4 cup shorting

1/2 cup sugar

2 tsp salt

2 eggs beaten

1 cup currants

1 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp allspice

5 cups flour

Soften yeast in water. Scald milk, add shortening, sugar and salt. Cool to lukewarm. Add flour to make a thick batter. Add softened yeast and eggs; beat well. Add currants, spices and enough flour to make a soft dough.

Turn out on lightly floured board and knead until smooth and satiny. Place in a greased bowl. Cover with cloth and let rise until doubled: and 1 1/2hr. punch down and let rest 10mins. Shape into small buns and place on greased sheet or in pan with sharp knife cut a small cross into tops of each bun. Let rise till doubled - about 45 mins.

Bake @ 350 for 20 - 25mins

Cover cross with confectioners icing

Hot cross buns...or in another sense, cross buns, in one sense, bread baked to display, and too wonderful to eat, but to revere as the ultimate earthly bread of the Eucharist, in another, the delectable only permissible food of the Easter fast, blessed by the Franciscans in the 12th century.

That any baking happens at all on Good Friday is, in some senses, a transgression. Yet, bakers must bake, and the ovens kept warm, and the food that is on ordinary days, just ordinary, should be done. But, what if (I'm thinking a late Medieval baker here) one day a year you could bake the kind of bread on which no one could judge you? What if no one could (legally) eat it? You'd put dried fruit into it, and sugar from the jeweler's and every good thing...knowing that you (and only a few other bakery-geeks) would appreciate the product...This is hot cross buns.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.