'Honey Bun' is a song from Rodgers and Hammerstein's South Pacific, a musical set during WWII. For good, cheap entertainment, watching people you know (a high school drama group is good) perform this scene is excellent.

During this scene, marines and sailors are seated in lines at the end out of the stage, watching the Thanksgiving pageant that the base has been putting on for entertainment. Onto the stage walks Nellie Forbush, dressed in a comically-oversized sailor suit. For her part of the soldiers' entertainment, she sings the following song, eventually joined by dancing nurses and Luther Billis, sporting a hula skirt and coconut bra.

Like I said, it's much more entertaining if you know the actors well enough to laugh at them later...

(quiet intro)

My doll is as dainty as a sparrow.
Her figure is something to applaud.
Where she's narrow, she's narrow as an arrow,
And she's broad... where a broad... should be bro-o-oad!

(speeding up)

A hundred and one
Pounds of fun,
That's my little honey bun.
Get a load of honey bun toniiight.

I'm speakin' of my
Sweetie pie,
Only sixty inches high.
Every inch is packed with dynamite.

Her hair is blonde and curly.
Her curls are hurly-burly.
Her lips are pips.
I call her hips:
'Twirly' and 'whirly'.

She's my baby, I'm her pap.
I'm her booby, she's my trap.
I am caught and don't wanna run,
'Cause I'm havin' so much fun with honey bun.

(continue into Luther's belly dance)

-Rogers and Hammerstein

A honey bun is a sweet cinnamon roll like dessert snack that's covered in a thin layer of an opaque, viscous white frosting. It's excellent, especially, when heated, though it's best to eat it by sort of shimmying it out of the bag as you go, because you don't want that frosting stuff all over your hands. The best brand of honey bun is Beebo; there's just something about it. Exactly the right sweetness, which is to say as sweet as possible without being nauseating. This brand can be found at finer gas station convenience stores throughout the south, though I've spotted other brands of inferior honey buns at 7-11 stores in other parts of the country.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.