In the Dungeons and Dragons Greyhawk campaign setting, Highfolk refers to both Highfolk Town and the area surrounding it (for political reasons, they cannot accurately be called one single 'country'). The region is in the West part of the Flanaess, West of Lake Whyestil and the Vesve Forest and East of the Yatil Mountains. The Velverdyva River runs through. Neighboring countries/regions are Perrenland to the West, Furyondy to the South-East, Veluna to the South, and the Empire of Iuz *spit* to the East. The best estimate of Population is roughly 80,000.

Highfolk is a very, very Chaotically-aligned region. The law is along the lines of, "Did you kill him? No? Okay, off you go." This is due primarily to the 80% Elven population, though the are was also isolated from the Great Kingdom and subsequent empires (which would have provided a Lawful influence).
The 'government' of Highfolk is an oxymoron. The most obvious power center is Highfolk Town. The city boasts a popularly elected Council. The council, however, has little more power within the walls than outside.
The Elves outside the city are much more organized, as their government has been roughly the same for thousands of years. The Elven-king and his Court reside at Flameflower, in the Vesve. All the elves belong to one of several clans which engange is Byzantine politicking against another, though all in good humor and all swear fealty to the king.
Other power groups include the Rangers of the Vesve (guerilla defenders of good, headquartered at Quaalsten in the Vesve), the Gnomish Consortium (a munchkin trade organization), various temples (most notably,Ehlonna's Hearth of the Unicorn's Heart, Norebo's Smiling Halls of Good Fortune {a casino}, and a temple in Highfolk Town to the Oeridian seasonal dieties), and even Furyondy. The list could easily go on- all it takes to gain power in Highfolk is followers. It could easily be argued that any of these groups, though not as powerful as the Council of Highfolk or the Elven-king, wield as much political influence. Also, though all are interested in maintaining their current power, none seem to want to impose on others'.
Most of the region is in virtual anarchy, though the people are almost universally friendly and it is rare when anyone exploits the amazing trust that virtually everyone lends their neighbors.

There are also Halflings that get no respect from the 'Tallies'. Rumor has it there's some sort of underground Halfling Superiority movement, and the members of the other races think that's pretty funny.

Despite the large human and demi-human population, Highfolk is by no means civilized. The Vesve forest can be a dangerous place for mortals who leave the few well-marked roads and venture into the wilderness. Druids, xenophobic elves, Fey, and wild animals (not to mention North-Eastern humanoid tribes) are sure to point travelers back to the paths very quickly, and usually screaming.

The greatest danger in the region, however, is the horde of Iuz *spit*. When the Greyhawk Wars ended and treaties were made, no map of the interior of the Vesve could be found. So Iuz *spit* claimed the whole of it. Luckily, the demon demigod has been distracted since then, and only with the recent reflaring of Flanaess-wide warfare has he put any resources toward an invasion. A pitifully small army of maybe a few thousand Orcs should have been destroyed by the elite Elven military, but their aloofness and selfishness, and a near-total lack of support from other power groups, has arguably put commoners' lives at risk: Almost no action is being taken against the invaders.

In CY 594, the situation is this: Simple farmers and woodsmen, Elven melodrama and politicking, Well-meaning but disorderly power groups, and a timer in the East that is counting down...


Sources: the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer, www.highfolk.net, and my own extensive experience.

Highfolk is played by Wisconsin in the Living Greyhawk campaign.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.