The HfG (Hochschule für Gestaltung - School of Design) Ulm, founded 1955 by Inge Scholl (sister of Sophie and Hans Scholl), Otl Aicher and Hans Werner Richter, was one of the most influential schools of art and design in Germany.

Aim of the school was to unify technical competence, cultural design and political responsibility. It was deliberately defined as a sucessor to the Bauhaus and became famous mostly for Aicher's sober designs and the radical refusal to capitalize (it called itself "hfg ulm").

Teachers included Max Bense, Otl Aicher, Max Bill, Hans Werner Richter, Alexander Kluge, Edgar Reitz and Gui Bonsiepe, whose works made the school and its products known all over the world.

The HfG made valuable contributions to the development of industrial design and design education, and these make up the intrinsic relevance of the school today.

It was shut down only 15 years after its opening, in 1969. Due to its chronic lack of money it had become more and more dependent on finance from the state of Baden-Württemberg, and during the student protests of 1968 the politicians decided that there was no reason to let this progressive school live on.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.