The busiest airport in the Caucasus region, Azerbaijan's Bina International Airport (BAK) is about 25 kilometers east of downtown Baku. Its construction began in the 1980s, but during and after the collapse of the Soviet Union it stood unfinished for several years. Its international terminal finally opened in 1993, and a second runway opened in 1995 for wide-bodied aircraft following several accidents. Although Azerbaijan had been admitted into the International Civil Aviation Organization in 1992, it wasn't until 1996 that the organization began assisting with the airport's operations. The passenger facilities were renovated in 1999, and there is even a lounge for first class travelers.

There is a hotel on the airport grounds, and taxis can be found both inside customs and outside the terminals. Rental car companies have an area on the international arrivals terminal, and there is a bus that runs to downtown Baku.

The flagship airline is Azerbaijan Airlines, a state-owned descendant of Aeroflot. Four other home-grown private airlines also serve the airport, including Baku Airways, Forair, Imair, and Turan Air. Other airlines with flights to BAK are Aeroflot, Air Pulkovo, Air Ukraina, Alban-Avia, Austrian Airlines, Bashkir Airways, British Airways, Caspian Helicopters, Coyne Airways, Domodedovo Airlines, Emirates, Iran Air, Kazakhstan Airways, KLM, Kolavia, Kyrgyzstan Airlines, Lufthansa, Pakistan International Airlines, Perm Airlines, Samara Airlines, Swissair, Tatarstan Airlines, Transaero, Turan Air, Turkish Airlines, Turkmen Airways, Ural Air, and Uzbekistan Air.

Source: http://geo.ya.com/travelimages/az-airp.html

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.