The Hermes 3000 is a series of typewriters that was produced by Paillard, a swiss manufacturer, to replace the Hermes 2000. They are much coveted among collectors. There are three versions of the Hermes 3000; the first variation was produced from 1958-1966, the second variation was produced from 1966-1970, and the third variation was produced from 1970 through the end of the decade, before the typewriter was ultimately discontinued. The first model is rounded with a metal carrying case; the second model is boxy with a metal carrying case; the third model is boxy with a plastic carrying case.

The typewriter is popular among typewriter enthusiasts, partly because of its excellent construction, and partly because Tom Hanks (yes, the actor, who apparently also owns hundreds of typewriters and has typewriter clout) says that this typewriter is his favorite. Some writers use the Hermes 3000 to this day -- Brokeback Mountain, the cowboy sex movie, is said to have been written entirely on a Hermes 3000.

This typewriter is designed to be portable, but it is large. The typewriter snaps into a special carrying case, and can be hauled around by the handle on the case. I find that the typewriter is too hefty to be carried comfortably; it is portable, but not meant to be hauled around by hand.

Unfortunately, not everything is perfect. The platen knobs on the Hermes 3000 are known to break, because they bonk against the carrying case when being transported. This is the case on mine; the right platen knob has busted off. Replacement knobs are $30-40, so I am content not spending the money, since the left knob on mine is still intact.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.