Catnip, Celandine, Daisy, Hawthorn, Honeysuckle, Hyacinth, Lemon balm, Lily of the valley, Marjoram, Morning glory, Saffron, and Shepherd's purse.

Magickal suggestions for depression management:

Get a daisy and put it in blue-dyed water. Wait until the daisy has sucked up enough water to dye its petals blue. Watch it if you like, meditating on your troubles or your lack of happiness. Now, with your hands anointed with lemon balm of some sort, go outside and pick the petals off of the daisy one by one. Every time you pick off a petal, try to think of something that excites you, something you're glad for, something you can do to get your mind off of your depression or a solution to any problem causing it. You may not be able to think of a solution and that is why you are depressed, so think about a friend you can call or talk to to get some advice. As you pull off the petals and scatter them to the wind, just think, and daydream a bit. When you are done, kiss the center of the daisy that remains, and sleep with it under your pillow that night.

-OR-

Drink a lemonade or other lemon drink, possibly with a friend. Confide in your friend, or if you have no one you'd like to talk to about your problems, simply write them down or say them out loud to yourself while alone. Adding ginger ale to lemonade gives it a very nice kick that may lift your spirits. Have some alone time or quiet time with your friend, listening to music or playing cards or a board game, and just relax, not trying to escape your problems but just letting them not overtake you.

-OR-

Go someplace where honeysuckle grows wild, if it's available. Pinch off the bottoms of the blossoms and pull out the nectar-laden piece in the middle, and lick off the "honey." When depression strikes you, remind yourself that some pieces of life are still sweet, and do this until you are calmed and somewhat happy again. If it helps, pretend you are a child, or have a child version of yourself talk to you.

Other herbs that help with clinical depression:

St. John's Wort (should help with regular usage after 2-4 weeks)

"5-HTP" with vitamins C and B6. 5-HTP, or "Natural Griffonia Bean Extract" is a precursor to serotonin, and the vitamins are important in the conversion of 5-HTP to serotonin. Careful, though. Unlike most herbal remedies, this actually has side effects. It can cause drowsiness and/or digestive upset (if not taken with a meal). Anyone taking MAO-inhibitors or antidepressants, anyone who suffers from ulcers, IBS, Crohn's, Celiac disease, or any other gut disorder should not take 5-HTP. Even though 5-HTP can be legally purchased without a prescription, one should only take it under the supervision of a knowledgeable health professional.

Fish oil capsules or other sources of omega-3 fatty acids. Cultures where fish is a staple generally have lower incidences of mental health problems due to the high consumption of omega-3 fatty acids. This leads one to believe that regular consumption of fish, or daily supplements of fish oil, may help some individuals with mental health problems.

Some alternative health sources believe that many forms of mental health disorders could be cured by detoxification. I believe this may help in some cases, but not in many. If you feel motivated enough, you may want to give it a try. Just go easy on the fasting, though. Depression may actually get worse even with short juice fasts (consuming only water, freshly juiced fruits/vegetables, and certain herbal teas).

As with most supplements and OTC drugs, consult a health professional before taking the aforementioned herbs if you are pregnant or nursing or you are taking any prescription medications for depression, anxiety, etc. Except for the fish oil, as omega-3 fatty acids are essential for the development of a baby's brain and should be included in everyone's diet. Your health professional should have already told you to include omega-3s in your diet. Also, please remember that I am not a health professional. I'm 18, for goodness' sakes! I'm not supposed to know anything. I just read a lot.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.