Analysis was one of the courses I could not begin to like, want to like and even less understand during my last years as a student. And as everything people do not like, the only thing that is remembered about it is its name.

The name of the guy is "Lebesgue" with a 'G' and not a 'Q'.(I do not think english speaking people would even begin to say the name correctly so I will skip pronunciation). Not so important but I think his name should be spelled correctly so that people are aware of the danger they are facing :)

And for the sake of culture and memory I did a little search. Here are the results :

Henri Léon Lebesgue

Born: 28 June 1875 in Beauvais, Oise, Picardie, France
Died: 26 July 1941 in Paris, France

Lebesgue formulated the theory of measure in 1901 and the following year he gave the definition of the Lebesgue integral that generalises the notion of the Riemann integral by extending the concept of the area below a curve to include many discontinuous functions.

This outstanding piece of work appears in Lebesque's dissertation, Intégrale, longueur, aire, presented to the University of Nancy in 1902.

He also made major contributions in other areas of mathematics, including topology, potential theory, and Fourier analysis. In 1905 he gave a deep discussion of the various conditions Lipschitz and Jordan had used in order to ensure that f(x) is the sum of its Fourier series.

And a quote for the end :

"Reduced to general theories, mathematics would be a beautiful form without content. It would quickly die"

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.