Dutch company, maker of the internationally well known beer with the same name. The beer comes in green bottles.

The company was incorporated in 1872 by Gerard Adriaan Heineken who a couple of years earlier bought an almost 300 year old brewery in Amsterdam. The brewery was the largest in the region, at the time, and Gerard was only 22 years old, so it was kind of bold. He rapidly built more breweries and also changed the manufacturing process from the traditional way to the Bavarian way, where fermentation is done from the bottom. 

In late 1800-s and early 1900-s, Heineken start exporting and brewing beer abroad, mainly to France and Belgium. In 1930 Heineken starts bottling the beer themselves, when it previously had been sold on keg only. During the 30s, Heineken starts exporting beer to the far eastChina and New Zeeland -  and to the United States. The company now becomes a public company on the Amsterdam bourse. During the following decades, the company grows, builds new breweries and acquires other companies. The beer Amstel is taken over by Heineken, who also starts making soft drinks.

Today, Heineken owns numerous companies all over the world, over 100 breweries and it is now the second largest brewer in the world, selling to more than 170 countries. The company has 3 international brands: Heineken, Amstel and Murphy's. It has over 80 brands of local and regional brands, including the largest brand in Asia; Tiger.

The Heineken beer is of pilsen type, as invented by the Czech in 18th century. Heineken is made out of - as should any beer - water, hops and malt, nothing added throughtout the process, except for yeast for the fermentation.

Nutritional value, since we all know that beer is good food:

Carbohydrates  3,0 gram / 100 ml 
Proteins  0,5 gram / 100 ml 
Sodium  0,003 gram / 100 ml 
Calories 45 Kcal / 100 ml 
Alcohol  5% vol. % 

The beer has a strong taste of yeast, but is otherwise light and quite harmless, really. Not much of an experience, but on the other hands it makes possible for a long night of drinking it. In Holland and other parts of Europe considered as a cheap and low class beer. Enjoy well chilled, plus it goes pretty well with food actually.

Reference: Heineken

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.