Greek goddess of youth. Made a nectar that would grant eternal youth.
Also brought the gods ambrosia.
Son of Zeus and Hera. Brother to Ares and Hephaestus.
(From "Hebrew")

An offensive, derogatory slang term for a Jewish person.

Because of this meaning, the word HEBE is generally taboo in creating crossword puzzles, even though it has a perfectly innocent meaning as well.

hebe, the word, meant the prime of youth, the pinnacle of strength and beauty, the ideal that is personified in almost everything Greek, whether it is poetry, vase painting, or sculpture. The youthful ideal can be seen in kouroi, statues of male youths in a rigid pose dating from the Archaic Period (female statues from the same period are called korai), and it is interesting to note that these statues are often thought to be Apollo. Apollo does not have the allegorical significance of a name like Hebe, because his name is not a noun separate from his divinity, but he is always at his hebe. In the Iliad, one could say that most of the soldiers are at their hebe, most especially Achilles.

For the Greeks, it was the utmost in heroism to die at one's youthful prime. Achilles achieves this in the Iliad, and more importantly, he chooses this fate from it's alternative, to return home and live a long life.

Achilles' choice illustrates the power of the concept of hebe. In his mind, it was better to die while he was young and strong, than to grow old in peace. We can then see hebe as a fleeting moment, an opportunity he must seize to be the greatest he can be.

The goddess Hebe, then, is a powerful deity in theory, granting the strength of youth to warriors, giving them physical strength and attractiveness of form. Unfortunately, Hebe, like most other purely allegorical gods, like Nike, was not worshipped in her own right, and is personified more in actions between the gods than between gods and mankind.

On a less divine note, Hebe is a terrible TV hostess for the brazilian channel SBT.

Old, wrinkled and covered with plastic surgeries, she somehow entertains the fantasy that she is still on her twenties.

She never stops smiling (nor even when she cries), and she speaks through closed teeth.

She repeatedly calls her guests (mostly shallow plastic people with no talent that are riding the wave of recyclable success) "gracinha!!!", which means something like "how cute!"

He"be (?), n. [L., fr. Gr. "h`bh youth, "H`bh Hebe.]

1. Class. Myth.

The goddess of youth, daughter of Jupiter and Juno. She was believed to have the power of restoring youth and beauty to those who had lost them.

2. Zool.

An African ape; the hamadryas.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.