HeadOn, apply directly to the forehead.
HeadOn, apply directly to the forehead.
HeadOn, apply directly to the forehead.

A sponsor of CNN Headline News.

Brief explanation

A homeopathic headache remedy that has the most infuriatingly catchy and memorable advertisement. Probably the most effective ad I've seen for memorization while the least descriptive of the product itself. For the longest time I thought it was some sort of surreal advertisement for CNN HN. The ad has been called "Genius" by some, specifically by Seth Stevenson of Slate, who rated it as an A+ in his "Ad Report Card." Why 'Genius?' Because after hearing the ad on TV, you have simultaneously been given the name of a headache medication and a nasty headache.

The secret of that powerfully marketed product, HeadOn, is that there's no secret. it has no mystery ingredient to imbue it with headache-fighting powers. It employs no clever mechanism to rub headaches out. It. Does Nothing. It's wax.

It essentially is a fat tube of chapstick to be applied to the forehead. No, scratch that, chapstick at least might prevent some chapping. HeadOn prevents nothing at all because it does nothing at all. Its "active ingredients," extracts from vines of no known medicinal value, are measured in the parts per trillion, quantities so small that even proven potent drugs would have no effect. This is beyond the realm of homeopathic medicine and into the world of homeo-nothing medicine. In fact, the reason HeadOn runs afoul of none of the various governmental policifyers of medicinal and advertorial claims is because it has no medicinal qualities and its advertising -- "HeadOn: apply directly to the forehead" -- has never asserted a specific claim of results to be achieved.

And it's not at all surprising that such a drug would find success in Twenty-First Century America. I more than half suspect that a slick enough advertising campaign would have a headache medicine named "Placebo" flying off the shelves.



Glowing Fish says re HeadOn: And yet, it still probably has a better cost/benefit ratio than most prescription drugs.

drownzsurf says re HeadOn: Supposedly putting a piece of cold sliced raw potato on your forehead will stop headaches.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.