• Chemically, harmine is an alkaloid of the formula C13H12N2O (or -methoxy-1-methyl-9H-pyrido (3,4-b) indole). It works as a serotonin antagonist with analgesic, sedative, and in larger doses hallucinogenic effects.

  • It's derived from the seed coats of plants in the Middle East and Mediterranean region. Specifically, the plants are Banisteriopsis caapi, Peganum harmala (Syrian rue), Zygophyllum fabago, and Passiflora incarnata (Passion flower).

  • Means of use: 25-750 mg harmine can be ingested on an empty stomach (though it absorbs poorly). In its hydrochloride form harmine may be snuffed (20-200 mg). Injection dosages are smaller: SC 40-70 mg; IV 10-30mg.

  • Harmine is (as of this writing) legal in the U.S.!

  • In addition to all this, harmine and a few similarly derived drugs are the only hallucinogens native to the Middle East. So, I found the above information while searching the internet for a hallucinogen in that area potentially responsible to the slew of PROPHETS there. (The only other option I know of is schizophrenia.)

Har"mine (?), n.[See Harmaline.] Chem.

An alkaloid accompanying harmaline (in the Peganum harmala), and obtained from it by oxidation. It is a white crystalline substance.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.