A traditional comic character in pantomime and Commedia dell'arte, originally in the late 1600s. Harlequin wears a black mask and brightly-colored, diamond-patterned tights. Sometimes, Harlequin carries a wooden wand or sword. The standard Harlequin is often a street performer, doing tricks, stunts, and gags for a crowd of people in public.

Also, any clown. Well, not any clown. Not Bozo, fer instance.
Close your eyes and imagine a liquid pack of playing cards thrown at a street myme. That's what a Harlequin looks like.

A harlequin is a menacing brooding violent character. And should not be interchangably used for clown.

Harlequin, English descendant of the French Arlequin, descendant of the Italian Commedia dell'Arte character arlecchino. Wearer of clothes with Triangular shapes, mask and beard, he was know to perform great acrobatic feats when his improvisation dried up.

Many of the great actors throughout history put on the mask, and took on the role.

Harlequin is the term used to describe the color patter found on dalmatians and some great danes. When you start looking at what causes the patterns on the genetic level you find that it is not actually black spots on a white field but a white field with holes where black shows through. Although not officially recognized by the AKC great danes can also come in a related color known as fawnequin, which is tan spots instead of black.

(This is part of an experiment in hypertext fiction. See Bridgeborough, New Jersey for more information).

Harlequin is the alter ego of Justin Graves and acts as a vigilante in the fictional city of Bridgeborough, New Jersey. His origin and some adventures in his life were described in the Justin Graves node because it was better to describe that from Graves' perspective. Here I'll detail Harlequin's appearance and powers, but first the origin of the mask.

Justin Graves found the antique mask from which he gets the Harlequin powers in a mysteriously disappearing curio shop. What he didn't find out until much later was where it came from. The original Harlequin was the court jester for King Arthur's court. His name was also Justin, but that was a coincidence. The original Harlequin was a meager jester until Arthur found him, and he found him so funny he asked him to join his court. However, he didn't stay working as Arthur's court jester for long which is why he was never mentioned in the legends. Justin became close friends with Merlin the magician and Arthur's chief advisor. Justin assisted Merlin with many of his experiments, and they hit it off very quickly. In fact Merlin had been expecting him. He knew that Justin had an affair with the princess of his last employ, and was kicked out because of it. However, Merlin believed Justin was destined to be with the princess, and that their union would give birth to his successor. A child who would be more adept at magic than him, and help insure peace and harmony in all the land for generations to come.

However, Morgan Le Fay knew of this too, and sought to ruin Merlin's plans to bring the two of them together. She found the princess before Merlin could, and placed a curse upon her, taking from her all the love she had for Justin. A battle ensued between Morgan and Merlin. During the battle, Justin tried to slip by Morgan and save the princess, but the princess shouted at him, alerting Morgan to Justin's presence. She turned on Justin and shot a blast of magic which almost killed both the princess and the jester. However, Merlin managed to save their life essences and contained them inside two of the masks which the jester kept on his person in his satchel. He then escaped with the satchel and Morgan was hot on his heels. Before she could catch up with him, Merlin hid the masks by sending them into a place between time.

This place between time is known as the Chin Lau Xanus or "Bridge To Everywhere." The protectors of the Chin Lau Xanus happened across the masks and placed them in the curio shop which is one of the many links to the Chin Lau Xanus throughout all time and dimensions. The masks were then purchased by two different people. Justin Graves got the Harlequin mask. Some unknown female purchased the Columbine mask. Justin Graves' mask contains the life essence of Justin, and also is infused with the magicks of Merlin. It is from this that Justin Graves' gets his abilities as Harlequin.

Harlequin's Appearance

Whenever someone puts the mask on (not necessarily only Justin. It can work on anyone) they are suddenly transformed. Their appearance becomes an exagerrated combination of their own self-image and the original appearance of the original Justin. The costume is a brightly-colored red and green motley vest with short green pants, green gloves and ankle boots, and purple tights. Harlequin's hair is long and flowing golden flax, with a tussle hanging over the forehead, and the hair flows back to just below shoulder length. His skin is pasty white, and there can be seen no irises or pupils in the white eyes. Harlequin also has a large wood-like sword or slapstick which is as long as his arm. Small glowing orbs hover over his shoulders, and similar bells float near the wrists and boots, and they jingle like bells.

Harlequin's Powers

Harlequin is not able to fly exactly, but he can walk or run on air as if it were ground. He also can sit crosslegged and glide or slide on the air very quickly. If he wants to go really fast, Harlequin can push off the air sideways, pumping his legs as if he were on a sideways unicycle. He looks kinda stupid, but he can travel scores of miles a minute in this manner once he gets up the inertia.

Harlequin can move things with his mind. He can also create illusions in the minds of those around him, which appear real to them for a short time. From his mask's eyes, Harlequin can shoot out a blast of magic force, which doesn't affect anything physically but does attack enemies on a spiritual level, potentially causing a disruption of someone's spirit, temporarily placing them in a deep sleep. Prolonged exposure can even cause a permanent separation of the soul from the body, resulting in death.

Finally, Harlequin has a slapstick which has a glowing golden forcefield surrounding it. This force of energy is manipulative and has an amorphous solid sense to it. Harlequin can send the manipulative force energy out from the baton, and mold it with his mind into any shape he can imagine, from a large hammer to a glider plane. The force of magic from his baton works in many ways similar to that of Green Lantern from DC Heroes, but it has no known limitations or weaknesses.

Har"le*quin (?), n. [F. arlequin,formerly written also harlequin (cf. It, arlecchino), prob. fr. OF. hierlekin, hellequin, goblin, elf, which is prob. of German or Dutch origin; cf. D. hel hell. Cf. Hell, Kin.]

A buffoon, dressed in party-colored clothes, who plays tricks, often without speaking, to divert the bystanders or an audience; a merry-andrew; originally, a droll rogue of Italian comedy.

Percy Smith.

As dumb harlequin is exhibited in our theaters. Johnson.

Harlequin bat Zool., an Indian bat (Scotophilus ornatus), curiously variegated with white spots. -- Harlequin beetle Zool., a very large South American beetle (Acrocinus longimanus) having very long legs and antennae. The elytra are curiously marked with red, black, and gray. -- Harlequin cabbage bug. Zool. See Calicoback. -- Harlequin caterpillar. Zool., the larva of an American bombycid moth (Euchaetes egle) which is covered with black, white, yellow, and orange tufts of hair. -- Harlequin duck Zool., a North American duck (Histrionicus histrionicus). The male is dark ash, curiously streaked with white. -- Harlequin moth. Zool. See Magpie Moth. -- Harlequin opal. See Opal. -- Harlequin snake Zool., a small, poisonous snake (Elaps fulvius), ringed with red and black, found in the Southern United States.

 

© Webster 1913.


Har"le*quin (?), n. i.

To play the droll; to make sport by playing ludicrous tricks.

 

© Webster 1913.


Har"le*quin, v. t.

To remove or conjure away, as by a harlequin's trick.

And kitten,if the humor hit Has harlequined away the fit. M. Green.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.