"During high school, I played junior hockey and still hold two league records: most time spent in the penalty box; and I was the only guy to ever take off his skate and try to stab somebody."

-Adam Sandler as Happy Gilmore in Happy Gilmore (1996)

Since a very young age, Happy Gilmore's only dream was to become a pro hockey player, despite the fact that the sport had driven away his mother, and killed his father, which ultimately forced Happy to live with his grandmother. As fate would have it, Happy excelled in one area of the game - he had a killer shot, but he also lacked a key component to the sport - he couldn't skate. It turns out that grandma Gilmore hadn't paid her taxes for a number of years, and as a result was going to have her house repossessed. In a bet with some repo guys, Happy realizes that he has some skill in golf, and decides to give the PGA tour a try, so he can win enough money to buy back his grandma's house. There's only one problem, Shooter McGavin, the tour favorite has his eye on the gold jacket, and won't let anything stand in his way.

Not quite up to the level of Billy Madison, in my opinion, Happy Gilmore is still a hilarious movie. It's one of those movies that you can recite from memory whole strings of dialog from. Also, this movie was the first Sandler film to start reusing specific characters in cameo roles. Specifically Chubbs, who later appeared in Little Nicky. When great Adam Sandler movies come to mind, Happy Gilmore is near the top of the list.

(Some) Memorable Quotes: Shooter: Stay out of my way, or you'll pay. Listen to what I say. Happy: Yeah, why don't I go eat some hay. I can make things out of clay, or lay by the bay, I just may. Whaddya say? Grandma: Sir, can I trouble you for a warm glass of milk? It helps me go to sleep. Nursing Home Orderly: You can trouble me for a warm glass of shut-the-hell-up. Now, you will go to sleep or I will put you to sleep. Check out the nametag. You're in my world now, grandma. Shooter: I eat pieces of shit like you for breakfast. Happy: You eat pieces of shit for breakfast? Virginia: What the hell is going on here? Happy: Erm... I was just looking for the other half of this bottle. Oh. There's some... and some more. Happy: I'm stupid. You're smart. I was wrong. You were right. You're the best. I'm the worst. You're very good-looking. I'm not very attractive. Happy: The price is wrong bitch!

Cast: Adam Sandler - Happy Gilmore Christopher McDonald - Shooter McGavin Julie Bowen - Virginia Venit Frances Bay - Grandma Gilmore Carl Weathers - Chubbs Peterson Allen Covert - Otto Robert Smigel - I.R.S. Agent Bob Barker - Himself Richard Kiel - Mr. Larson Kevin Nealon - Gary Potter Will Sasso - Mover Ben Stiller - Nursing Home Orderly

Sources: www.imdb.com Childhood memories

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.