Rock band, (well, sort of) from Charlottesville, Virginia, formed in 1983. Their "music" consisted of distorted guitar and random percussion over the screamed, improvisational lyrics of Mr. Anus and Mr. Horribly Charred Infant. The Flowers are especially proud that their sounds are recorded without studio tricks or overdubs. Their album covers were illustrated with childish drawings, many in crayon.

Before you discount them completely, consider such song titles as "Mom, I Gave the Cat Some Acid," "Jenny Tried to Kiss Me at Recess", "I Saw My Picture on a Milk Carton", "I'm Gonna Have An Accident", and "I Don't Need Another Enema." Happy Flowers' songs really captured the essence of the horrors of childhood and could be the soundtrack to youthful nightmares.

They were one of my favorite bands on my various college radio shows--my DJ partners and girlfriend hated it. She (now my wife) still won't let me play Happy Flowers around her.

Although they separated in the early 90s due to creative differences, their web site at http://hometown.aol.com/MrHCIHF/index.htm shows tour dates from this year opening for Yo La Tengo. I can only imagine what that would be like. Mr. HcI has since posted a band history on this page that is amusing and exciting--including the tidbit that Mr. Anus now has a PhD in Economics, and now is properly addressed as Dr. Anus.

Their "greatest hits" album, "Too Many Bunnies, Not Enough Mittens" has a picture of MIttens Truckstop on it. This truckstop is on I-70 in Kansas. I nearly drove off the road when I first saw it.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.