Pronounced Hap-low-kna-thoe-sore-uss

Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Sauropsida
Superorder: Dinosauria
Order: Saurischia
Suborder: Sauropodomorpha
Infraorder: Sauropoda
Genus: Haplocanthosaurus
Species: H. priscus (Hatcher 1901), H. delfsi (McIntosh and Williams, 1988)

Discovered by John Bell Hatcher in 1901 near Canyon City, Colorado, Haplocanthosaurus was a sauropod from the Late Jurassic period. The giant walked the earth 150 million years ago.

Paleontologists believed that this dinosaur roamed all over the earth, but most fossils have been discovered in North America. The most concentrated graveyard for these guys seems to have been in the lower elevated regions of Colorado and Wyoming.

He weighed approximately 18,000 kilos (40,000 pounds). That’s more than three elephants. Average length of Haplocanthosaurus from snout to tail is 21 meters (70 feet). He had 14 vertebrae in his neck! He is often compared to Cetiosaurus, a creature that was originally thought to potentially be a giant crocodile.

Two almost complete skeletons of H. priscus have been found and one almost complete skelton of H. delfsi, although all three skulls have been missing. There have also been several small fragment deposits. Haplocanthosaurus probably had nostrils on the top of his head, similar to other sauropods. He was a herbivore and devoted his time to scavenging for foliage.



Thanks to:
http://www.dinoruss.com/de_4/5a6c85e.htm
http://www.kidsdinos.com/dinosaurs-for-children.php?dinosaur=Haplocanthosaurus

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.