and purveyors of religion
perhaps predate advertisers
in the art of hacking
humans, short-circuiting reason
thourgh neurolinguistic virii
and self-propogating memes
to coerce humans
into blindly serving said evangelists.
Highlights in the history of hacking humans through religion include:
- The Counterreformation: Ingeniously engineered by the Catholic church at the Council of Trent and the Jesuit Order and financed by the kings of Spain, the Counterreformation was implemented to draw back the crowds of humans that the Catholic church had lost to the upstart Protestant churches. This was achieved through commissioning art and architecture that highlighted intense melodramatic emotion and feeling. These works of art were designed to appeal to human emotion, thereby giving humans the feeling that they were touched by the "holy spirit." The art produced in this era later became known as the Baroque Period. Never before had the church enacted such and active and widely organized campaign to enlist new believers.
See also: Kevin Smith's Dogma, Buddy Jesus, Caravaggio, Rubens, Descartes,
- The Great Awakening: A period in early American history that saw a revival in a "spiritual awakening." The movement was lead by travelling evangelists (such a George Whitefield) that gave emotionally moving speeches and lectures (otherwise known as sermons) to groups of gullible humans. Possibly the antecedant of Southern Fundamentalist Evangelism.
See also: Bible Belt, Evangelist, Fundamentalist.
- The Crusades: A series of military conquests led by Catholic Christian Europe against Muslim held territories. Sparked by religious fervor and carried out by humans willing to kill and be killed in the name of one of the most sucessful memes in human history.
See also: Jyhad, Islam, Holy Relics.
- Various Occult Religions and Cults: Read your newspaper
See also: Jim Jones, Scientology.
- People who understand that organized religion is a joke:
Church of the Subgenius, Discordianism, etc.
See also: Cacophony Society.
See also: Memes, Virus, Social Engineering, Hacker, Linguistics, Gullible, Enlightenment, Church, Inquisition, Jesuit, Protestant, Lies, Belief, Stupid Cows, Tao, Human Evolution, The Matrix, Richard Dawkins, Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash, Information Theory.